1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobe Light Cord:

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Stormrider, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Stormrider

Stormrider Junior Member

I was wondering how one deals with a larger diameter strobe light cord that needs to be either passed thru the window or shut within the door frame of the vehicle. I purchased a Whelan strobe with has a cigarette connector cord that is as large as a 10gauge wire extension cord and I really don't want to leave the window cracked opened that much but noticed that when I put it in the door frames it leaves quite a mark on the cord, I was wondering if anyone has other alternatives? Thanks.

Stormrider

2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

How long is the cord? Do you have the ability to run under truck and up through firewall grommet?

3. Stormrider

Stormrider Junior Member

Sorry, I should have stated that the cord is 10' long.

4. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Ran mine thru the slider in the back then put some tape to keep the weather out . Not ideal but works .

5. ktfbgb

ktfbgb Senior Member

I've always just shut the door or window on mine.

6. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Do the same, but use a strip of foam instead of tape to seal the opening.

7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I do this on one of our trucks and the other two I went through the vent on the rear of the cab, between the bed. I cut a 1"x1" holw in the vent and fed the cig. part right through.

8. dstifel

dstifel Senior Member
    from Iowa

Should be able to pull third break light and run through there into cab may have to cut it and splice it

9. bmwe0692

bmwe0692 Junior Member

Use CAUTION! ! ! If anyone attempts to do this:
    Don't want to crack a window!

I also ran my cord thru the sliding rear window. Used round file and filed half size of cord on one side, then other half of hole on other side. Used emery cloth to smooth out the hole, added one or two rounds of electrical tape, then closed window and used the lock to keep closed.
    My light had a coiled cord. So I put one of the coils down, so the water that ran down the cord, dropped off at bottom of coil and not come thru the window.
    T.J.