1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobe Light Bar

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Crewcutlawncare, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Crewcutlawncare

Crewcutlawncare Junior Member

Hey does anyone think it's a stupid idea to go around at night time around the streets if the roads are bad with a light bar on the top of your pickup truck if you don't have a plow on the front and just salt with snow blowers on the back? I plan on getting a plow for the truck next snow season, but I was just wondering if it's worth getting the light bar now or just wait till I start plowing next season. :help: :dizzy:
  2. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

If you're not actually engaged in plowing in the roadway, then I would say no. It desensitizes other drivers to the warning beacons in general, and then they tend to ignore them, which is a safety risk for guys actually plowing or in the roadway.
  3. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

I only use my strobes when i'm backing out on a major roadway or plowing in a dangerzone (i plow a local Shaws supermarket/target store). Blueline is 100% right about safety lights losing their value if used all the time (boy who cried wolf sydrome i guess). Besides they give me a headache after a while
  4. Crewcutlawncare

Light Bar

So you guy's don't even think it's a good idea to have it if you are parked on the side of a road getting the snowblowers out and using them? I was only going to use the light in snow emergencies on the roadways. Lol, I don't plan on having it on 24/7... especially at night in neighborhoods. Which brings me to my next question. Do any of your customers get angry with you when you show up at their house at 2 or 3 or 4 in the morning with the snowblowers running? Or do they understand the situation that you are in? I have 40 accounts to get done and there is no way I will finish in time if I have to work from 7 am to 10 pm. :dizzy:
  5. Ultimate inc

Ultimate inc Junior Member

i think if you have fourty accounts even if you only charge $10 (which i hope you don't) then just go out and buy a plow why waste you'r time with snow blowers? and yes it is stupid to have a light bar when you only snowblow, to answer your other question a light is to warn others that your plowing and might be backing in the street and at 3 in the morning there really isnt much traffic so why would you have your light on that late unless your parked on a very main road! most guys don't use theres in driveways
  6. Crewcutlawncare

payup Ok, well thanks for the info Ultimate, Inc. As far as the plow goes, I really want one badly, but my dad wont get me one. He wants me to use my two snow blowers on all 40 of my accounts. And since I am still seventeen and wont be 18 until august, theres really nothing I can say or do about it. But yeah I was just wondering about the lightbar because my one friend who plows said that its good to have when your parked on the side of a road... so besides your flashers on, they can also see your light bar running too. I thought it would also be a good idea Ultimate, Inc. because if they saw the light going when i am at a customers house, then they would notice the company name on the truck. Idk, maybe this just seems stupid to do right now. That's why I am relying on your expertise and help. :) Oh and here are my prices... please let me know if they are too cheap and what they should be. 1-3" $30.00 4-6" $35.00 7-10" $40.00 10-12" $45.00 over 12" $55-60.00. How do you figure out what to charge people that aren't on your route, but really need to get plowed/snow blowed out... as far as pricing goes? Lol, sorry Ultimate Inc, but i have one last question for you. Did you ever get stopped by the police for running your snow blowers late at night, or early in the morning hours to get work done? Because I am afraid that if this storm that is coming my way ends at 3 in the afternoon tomorrow, then I will be out for a min. of 20 hours... not including traveling time. So i'm going to have but no choice to work through the night into the next day.

P.S. Sorry I asked so many questions. This is all new to me and I am just trying to learn how everything works, and how to stay ahead of the game and make money. payup
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  7. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Well, a plow is certainly quieter & quicker than running a snowblower for 20 minutes on a driveway, but you have to do what you have to do. Until I was 18, I ran a snowblower through my neighborhood at all hours of the day & night. Some customers questioned me being out at 3am, but my response was that I had work to do (ie: more driveways) and I couldn't let 12" accumulate before I cleared my driveways.

Save some $$$ by not buying the lightbar & put it into your first plow next year. 40 accounts should help you pay for a plow.

As for accounts not on your route, $5-10 more than your regular customers because you're going out of your way to accommodate their inability to prepare ahead of time. If you have business cards, maybe hand them off to people you snowblow & say you'd work out something for a regular basis (ie: lesser charge for being part of your permanent route). I wasn't as fortunate as you seem to be (or maybe I didn't market my service as well -- that's the likely scenario!) to have 40 accounts before having a plow. 40 driveways is what I do now with a single truck, and I find that's about the limit (well, I cover a small city, and though the driveways tend to be clustered together, 5-6 here, 9-10 there, and 7 over somewhere else, it still takes time to get around). Sounds as though you're ambitious, and that's a great thing. Try not to overextend yourself because it's the customers that suffer first and then ultimately you because ANY bad service loses you work. Keep up the personal connection to customers, as people LOVE having a relationship with those that work for them. We're all in the people business even if we think we're in the snow biz.

Take care

8. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

Yard medic has you headed in the right direction. Save the lightbar money and work on getting yourself a nice warm plow for next year (after the season we've had theres going to be alot of barely used setups for short money). Hang in there kid, Roy
  9. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Senior Member

Check your state laws in regards to this in NH it is I believe a $250 fine to be running around with the light bar on if you are not "actively" engaged in plowing. Most officers will not bother you with this though as we have better things to do. however I do have one Sergeant who makes it a point every year on the first snow storm to pull plow trucks over for this and makes sure he tells his guys about the this law. Below is the portion of the NH law dealing with private plow lighting

266:74 Emergency Lights. –
    in the case of private snow removal vehicles, while such vehicle is actively in use in snow removal,
    IV. Any person who is convicted of a violation of this section shall:
    (1) For a first offense, be guilty of a violation and fined not less than $250 nor more than $500.
    (2) For a second or subsequent offense, be guilty of a misdemeanor and fined not less than $500 nor more than $1,000.
  10. mchur01

mchur01 Senior Member

I would suggest checking your local laws as well. As far as buying one right now I would wait. I don't think that it would be of much use unless your are on a busy main road and in that case I would suggest pulling into the driveway, as far as a residential neighborhood just put on your flashers. I vary rarely run my lightbar unless I am on a commercial lot or have to back or pull onto a main road. So in short just wait..
  11. Vulcanclassic15

Vulcanclassic15 Member
    from Ohio

Redneck Farmer,
    I found the best way to avoid all tickets! I plow two police offers driveway every time it snows FOR FREE! Been plowing them for years, one is a State police officer & the other is a County police officer. They both give me a card every year that they call a "get out of jail free card". You just show it to the officer if they stop you for anything, they say be careful & thats it. I only have used it once about 2 years ago (35 in a 25 @ 3 am, no one around at that time).
    I only use my light bar on two driveways, backing out onto a 4 lane road, half the time I don't even have it on top of my truck, its in the cab till I need it.
  12. fordzilla1155

fordzilla1155 Senior Member

At 17 you can not drive in PA after midnight. Even for employment reasons.....
  13. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Senior Member

14. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

Just put on your hazzard lights if there is a big problem