1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobe, Led or Halogen

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Fiafighterdude, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

Strobe, Led or Halogen

2. Sno What

Sno What Member
    from CT

LED if you can afford it. Less power draw, and doesn't make you dizzy

3. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Thought I'd bump a previous thread. Had a bunch of answers there for ya'

4. Fiafighterdude

from ME

I Just Wannna Se What People Like The Most

5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Strobes and leds.

6. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

7. Lowriderfd44

Lowriderfd44 Senior Member

I'd have to say it's a toss up. I mean, i love LEDs casue of the low amp draw and versatility of being self contained with no needed power supply. I don't like how some are VERY directional. take two steps to the left and you loose all your warning power. But being as they're finally coming down in price and they keep making them smaller, they're really the way to go.

I like strobes. Can't beat a set of hide aways in your headlights and tail lights. The new LED versions are still too new and expensive. My favorite light of all time was my Whelen Dashmiser2. Only thing i hated about it was how big and bulky it was, also the friggin clicking would drive you nuts, but you couldn't beat its warning power.

I miss halogens, lol. If they weren't so big and drew so many amps... I just miss the old rotators, they looked cool. I like some of the new LEDs that have the "rotating" flash pattern

8. firefighter71_2

firefighter71_2 Junior Member

There is a huge myth that LED's are more expensive than Strobe or Halogen.
    With strobes, you typicly need to swap out a bulb occasionally which could be a hassle to get to and expensive. Not to mention, you need to keep your vehicle running just to power the strobe power supply. Basicly same with Halogen. In the long run, LED is brighter, cheaper and lasts a very long time. I run all LED in my vehicle and have seen a difference in fule consumpion as well as i have never replaced a bulb.
    I use Axixtech products which are quickly becoming the #1 product as well as the #1 copied product.
    They are SAE certified and have 5 year warranties on their products. I buy from www.nwpublicsafetysupply.com who is a Firefighter ran buisness and donates alot of their time and money to the Vol. Community and give2thetroops.com. They are a Master Distributor and sells to alot of the folks you may be buying from. I do know that you can get a Axixtech Micromax II LED Dash Light far cheaper than a Whelen Strobe Dash Light. Its brighter, crisper, quieter, smaller, doesnt get hot and pulls almost no Amps. Just my .02 cents.

9. F250 Boss v

F250 Boss v Senior Member

For me there is no question, for all the reasons that have already been posted... My light of choice is the Whelen Mini Liberty with linear LED's, -great during bright daylight, great at night, great in heavy snow and fog... Pricey, but if you look around you can find some deals... I found mine, new on -line @ Craigslist for $300. For me I thought that was the best I would get for this light new in the box, so I bought it, -no regrets!

10. bosslover

bosslover Member

i am a big fan of halogens i like leds for other lights but for my light bar i am a fan of halogens i have a pse 420 and i have whelen os amber flashers on my back rack

11. natueboy

natueboy Junior Member

Strobes ZLIGHT BARS are bad for two reasons! If you have noticed most police agencies are not using strobe lightbars anymore. This is because they are very expensive to maintain, and the main reason (not that we have to worry so much about this one) but recent studies have proven that strobe lights actually cause drivers to get dizzy and cause them to pull near the light. It confuses the driver. This commonly occurs with drunk drivers hitting cruisers that already have people pulled over. Heres a good break down. I import lights from china and sell NAS lights

Rotating-Bad because they draw high amps, expensive to maintain. But directional warning in the height area of the light spread.
    Good because they warn drivers with confusing them. You also get far distances from the light but is directional.

Strobes-Bad because they are expensive to maintain, and they confuse drivers.
    -Good because they warn drivers from every angle up down left right.

LEDS -Bad because they have high upfront cost, and faster patterns confuse drivers. They are also very directional more then rotating. But lots of LED modules provide awesome warning.
    -Good because they warn drivers from extreme distances. Purest light one the market and very little to no cost on maintenance. The bulbs last anywhere from 1000-10000 hours.

With that being said, we use LED lightbars for our trucks, with cornering strobes. our loaders and eqiupment we use rotating, and our sidewalk equipment we use LEDS. Hope all this helps

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  12. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

13. Fiafighterdude

from ME

14. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

Well theres no poll at the top lol

15. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

i do use LED strobe and halogen. the LEDs are nice b/c of the minimal power draw but durring the day i have found them to be ineffective. the halogens are nice becasue of the slower rate at which i have them set. so i can run them while driveing at night and not make myself dizzy but also have an effective warning system. but hands down i find strobes the best just becasue they are very bright durring the day or at night. but do to this they draw more power and also can make you dizzy/see spots and are very very effective at long ranges and around corners where i have found the LEDs get drowed out at a distance or in severe storms with the whiteouts.

so i would have to recomend strobes. both of my trucks are equiped with amber strobe/halogen lightbars. and also blue LEDs in the grill.

16. Fiafighterdude

from ME

i know i forgot to click the poll thing and this got posted

17. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Here's a good ? for you guys... I know that Strobes are Horrible in heavy FOG but do you get the Glareback with the LED's?

I'm an old Halogen/Incondesent guy myself because of the PUNCH Power you get with the flash. Some of the old lights that used the Halogens you could put a good ol' 1196/1197 bulb in it and it would work just as well. If the socket fits...why not!

18. Fiafighterdude

from ME

i dont like strobe in snow or fog but leds arnt so bad but way better than strobes

19. Mike - Tac 2

Mike - Tac 2 Member

I like a combination of all three.

Strobe to capture attention.
    LED to provide Low amp and High Intensity
    Halogen to provide depth perception and location awareness.

You will notice that you lose depth with LED'S and the brain see's the location of the light a bit off from where it actually is.