1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobe Kits

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lodogg89, Jan 4, 2007.

1. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

Not exactly sure where this is suppose to go, maybe we need to get a lighting thread or something. Some lady ran into a pile of snow i had set into the street last sunday. I know it sounds wrong. I was dragging it out of the driveway, and then going to spread it along the road edge. She claims she didnt see the giant oarnge thing rotating on my roof top. No damage to her car, but she did get stuck for a sec. What kit do you recommend i buy. Im just looking for something to go in my heads and tails to brighten things up a bit. Looking for a price/ quality point of view. Should i just put them in my tail lights for now???

2. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Senior Member

yeah, I was thinking same thing in the tail lights,not sure but it's Red, dont want have a red flashing light. that's for the Law..

I need to find some strobel light, I only have one small oarnge flashing light, was thinking getting 2 flashing lights and a light bar from Iron shop (make one) put on top of cab. and both lights on the sides of the light bar.

Some People dont watch where they going or look out of the plow truck we have to watch for them when backing in to street. Most of them going fast in the snow trying not to be stuck when going too slow.:dizzy:

what I do is back dragging out the snow then turn around push cross street in to the edge of club, sometime I try push it up the club try not dig up the yard.

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

buy a complete kit, its cheaper than piecmealing it as you go along:
    60w power supply (plenty of power for four clear strobe heads)
    4 clear strobe heads
    4, 15' strobe cables
    TOTAL: around $170-$199

www.strobesnmore.com has been a good place to buy them, a couple friends of mine have gone there and had great shopping experience. I use whelen brand strobes for all my stuff.

4. DodgeRam1985

DodgeRam1985 Member
    from Ohio

Definitely the best to just buy a whole kit, check out galls.com (they have some pretty good deals every once and a while). As for the concern of red flashers in the rear, most strobes actually hook up to the backup lights (or turn signals if you do not have the white lights in the taillight itself), so there is no worry about flashing reds in the rear.

5. GTMS

GTMS Senior Member

do a search on strobes, their is a guy here in MD that sells the whole 90 wt kit for like 199 or so. Here is his Screen Name>>>>>>> rcpd34
    contact him he'll hook you up

6. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Guys
    You will want a 90 watt 4 or 6 head kit. In my trucks I run 4 heads in the taillights and 2 in the headlights. I have never had a cop even give me a second look with my strobes running. I plow along two major rds here and when clearing the exits and entrance's I have to go out into the roads to push the snow where it needs to go. The fronts are amber and the rears are clear because the taillight lens are RED. Just don't be dumb and remember to turn off the strobes before you leave the lot and head to your next job. I even forgot to turn them off once and was driving to the next job and couldn't figure out why this lady that was coming towards me was pulling over. Then I double checked my switch's and I had left them on, even say a local cop right before that and he didn't even give my truck a second look. Thats not to say they couldn't stop you and give you all kinds of grief. Just use some common sense and most of the time you will be ok. With that said even with all the lights that I have that doesn't mean some dumb a** will still not see you, so be carefull.

Regards Mike

7. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Hideaway Strobe kits

I have these kits available and in stockfor $199/SHIPPED to members. 6 Head 90 Watt Sound Off Signal Hideaway Strobe Set. This complete system includes: Six Head 90 Watt power Supply, 4 Clear Strobe Tubes, 4 Shielded Strobe Cables w/AMP connectors, wiring, switch and instructions. Brand New and completely covered by the mfg warranty! Here are some pics of what you get:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I accept PayPal and credit cards direct. E-mail me at rcpd34@comcast.net if interested.

Brian

8. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

i think i might order that kit from you, where do you guys recommend i put the strobes. 2 in front 2 in back, but where do the other 2 go??

9. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Senior Member

Looks Nice.. I not sure if something like that would work on my truck, only in the back lights I think but not the front..? my truck is kind a 1974

10. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

What type of truck? They may fit in the turn signal lenses.

11. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Senior Member

the one in the picture, check out my web page you will see truck..

12. WALKERS

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

Hey Power wagon do you run the truck head lights when plowing or use your plow lights.
    You could put them in there just my 2 cents might be all its worth:D

13. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Senior Member

both plow and truck head lights are the old kind lights cannot drill hole in them.

14. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

What about the turn signals?

15. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Senior Member

there are 4 of them in front, they are kind small, I not sure how big hole going need drill in them? 1"?
    I can put in back they are big.
    if hole is 1" I will have to look at them see how its going put in.

16. WALKERS

RCPD I would like to find that 3 way rocker switch somewhere.payup :waving:

17. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

look at strobesnmore.com they have something similar i believe

18. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

steve if your thinking about ordering one, let me know i think i will jump on the band wagon with you.

19. WALKERS

MCW
    I am sending you a PM have a question. It is about posting a video how to.:help:

20. Michael M

Michael M Member

Michael M

Are the strobes hard to install? I have a 2003 2500HD. I definitely want them in the back, can they go in the front as well?
    If I can't install them, where can I bring my truck in central MA or southern NH to get them put in?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2007