1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

strobe issue

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 00bluegtp, Oct 4, 2011.

1. 00bluegtp

00bluegtp Member

I am trying get my strobes to work before the season starts and cant seem to get either one in the rear of my truck to work. The fronts work but no rears. I have checked for voltage going in and i found 11.57 volts without truck running. They just wont light up. I disconnected the connector behing the light and got shocked by somthing so there must be somthing going to the lights. There is adjustable screws in the boxes where the power comes from and i am wondering what they do. You think its the bulbs them selves? Any ideas?

2. Schnabel Plowin

Schnabel Plowin Senior Member

First of all, what strobes do you have? If you can unplug the fronts and swap them with the rears, you can find out if it is the strobe head or another problem. Check you grounds, too.

3. 00bluegtp

00bluegtp Member

I have no idea what brand they are because they came on the truck. I have ground and power. Each strobe has this little box to power it up. I dont know how else to figure out who makes them

4. Schnabel Plowin

Schnabel Plowin Senior Member

Can you take a pic?

If there is a problem with a strobe head, you will need to know what you have in order to get a new one, anyway.

5. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Chances are a tube is out.
    How did you wire it?

6. 00bluegtp

00bluegtp Member

I didn't wire it. They came in the truck when I got it in October. Only the fronts worked last year. I'm trying to figure it out before it gets cold

7. BossPlow2010

Are they tubes or LEDs?

8. ChiTahoe

ChiTahoe Senior Member

Help us identify them.

Do they look like this? Strobe:
    [​IMG]

or

LED:

[​IMG]

Or take some of your pictures.

9. 00bluegtp

00bluegtp Member

It doesnt look like that. I will take a pic of them during the day tomorrow. Each strobe has its own little power box if this helps at all.

10. BossPlow2010

They're led then

11. 00bluegtp

00bluegtp Member

I did some testing today and found that if I conect the wires directly to my booster pack i get one flash out of both light then they stop. So strange

12. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

Take a pic of your set up so we can see what you have and can go from there.

13. phil89

phil89 Junior Member

The small case attached to the wire is the lamp driver. Make sure you have the correct wiring. Red-Red/ Black/Black (white/white) / White w/ purple stripe or grey wire is your flash pattern selector. Take a wire from the + term of your vehicle batt run it to the red, ground the wire and see. If that fails this could be a driver issue. However, if both arn't working i would bet its prob a wiring issue. The LED hideaways are not like strobes. You can tap them into your taillights without disrupting the OEM electrical load.