1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobe install on 06 Silverado

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by turbo38sfi, Jan 7, 2007.

1. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

Ordered my Whalen strobe kit and got it the other day. Was just out looking at a few things before I do the install later this week. Have a few questions for you guys that have done them already.

Where are you mounting the controller? I'm thinking of silicone sealing up the edges of the box and mounting it inverted on the bottom of the dual battery try. It would be pretty protected from the elements like that. I have a sound system in my truck and the amps take up the room underneath the rear folding seat. And I have a sub box behind the seat so those locations are out.

The other question was on bulb placement. I have clear bulbs so I would like to place them in the amber lens up front and in the taillight housings in the rear. Anyone have any recommendations or tips for install..things to look out for or be aware of? Pictures would be of help too if you have any.

2. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

I installed a set on my truck. Took me about 5 hours (I work with beerxysport ). I took pics to post them and never did. I'll get them ready and put them up soon....

3. WetChicken

WetChicken Senior Member

I don't have any pics, but one thing you are going to find is that the light housings are double walled. you will want to drill the inner hole big enough for the base to mount in, and the other hole big enough to let the base through. You will need to RTV the whole shebang to make sure it is weathertight.
    When drilling, pop another light out and constantly force air in to minimize the shavings collecting in the assembly. They are a pain to get out with all the static electricity. Be persistent with the air, and you will get them. If I remember right, a vacuum doesn't work as well.
    Also be sure to use dielectric grease on all of the connections. This will minimize problems in the future due to corroded connections. Use wire loom to protect the lighting harnesses on sharp corners.
    If you need to cut the harnesses to shorten them, be sure to get the colors lined up correctly. I will tell you to take the time to solder and shrink wrap those cut connections. Since most people aren't that anal about wiring, be sure to use dielectric grease in those butt connectors.
    If you need to pop the pins out of the connector, be sure to get them back in correctly or *POOF* no flashy flashy.=]
    Mount the power supply in the vehicle. Pop interior panels off and see if there is enough room behind them. Otherwise see if there is room under another seat, or maybe on a kickpanel or under the dash (on the passenger side so it won't be as annoying).

Jason

Last edited: Jan 7, 2007
  4. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

Jason, thanks for the tips. That was one of my concerns with mounting the power supply in the cab...noise and radio interference from cross talk. I too am anal about soldering all my connections and using shrink tube everywhere. I hate using butt connectors too.

Playboy, could you email the pics to me if you get a minute? turbo38sfi@gmail.com

5. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Turbo
    The shield wire at the controller end should all be twisted and soldered in one end and then put a eyelet end and then screwed into the body as a shield ground. At the strobe head end just wrap that shield wire around the cable casing. Also I sent you a email with pictures.

Regards Mike

6. WetChicken

WetChicken Senior Member

As long as it isn't in the direct vicinity as your stereo equipment, you should be ok about it effecting your stereo. The annoyance I was talking about was the charging sound that it makes for each pulse.

Jason

7. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

Yea, that could get annoying after a while I suppose. I like the idea of under the battery tray more and more. Talk about short runs of power and ground!

8. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Hey Turbo

I just installed a whelen 90 watt system in my truck about a month ago and have had no complaints. Just be sure to seal up around the bulb itself with some silicone or a sealent of some sort. Even though they come with the gasket I would put some sealent around them to be extra safe. Because if you get water in there then your lens will fog over. I also had consercern about the power supply inside the truck cab but I have no compliants about that either I mounted the whole power supply in a box I made. It looks pretty cool too. When you have your stereo on and when your driving or even just sitting there you can't hear the power supply when its on. Well i would have posted pics for ya but I can figure it out. :help: I have a pretty sweet setup in my truck that I think you guys will like. So if you can help me figure out how to post pics l'll post them.

Ryan

9. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

10. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

Same here, if you can email me the pictures I can post them for you. Either way I'd like to see the pictures. Soon as I finish this beer I may go start on running the wires and getting the bulbs installed in the lens.

11. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Thanks turbo, but I just sent them to lodogg89. Let us see some pics of her when she is done and where you put the bulbs.:drinkup:

12. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

where in NH are you from??

13. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

Here are his pics as promised.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

and the other 2
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. WetChicken

WetChicken Senior Member

Lodogg, is the siren necessary??? lol

16. WetChicken

WetChicken Senior Member

Holy shitt, turbo38sfi, I didn't even notice that you are from around here.
    As mcwlandscaping asked, where are you? I might be willing to stop by.

Jason

17. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

I live in Derry, NH.

18. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Lodogg thanks for doing that fo me.

Wet Chicken, Lodogg just posted those pics for me I couldn't figure out how to. I am a fire fighter so I kinda have to have that. You know. But its okay you didn't know that, that wasn't his siren.

But that was my little project last year when I bought the truck. I didn't have any better place to mount the siren or the switch box so I figured why not build a box to hide all the wiring and everything. Everything is in arms reach of functioning everything with easy. I think it looks pretty cool inside the truck. It is made out of quarter inch black abs plastic. You can use pvc cement to glue the stuff together but I used # 4 screws to screw it together. That way if I ever need to take it all apart I can and not have to worrie about breaking it and starting over.

Ryan

19. WetChicken

WetChicken Senior Member

I am also a FF, but I am inactive right now. Siren's: (Tim Allen) arr, arr, arr.
    I worked for a two-way radio shop and that's exactly what we would do with that type of install, and on new ambualnces. I think it looks good!
    We didn't use plastic it was always aluminum. Plastic is a great idea, I will pass that along.

Jason

20. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

WetChicken I thought about using sheet metal but that wouldn't have worked the way I wanted it to so I went with the plastic. You guys should try to use that stuff when u do a new install in a vehical it works great. Like I said you can use pvc cement or # 4screws work great too. Are you guys a full time fire dept. where you are at? And what is the name of the dept you are on?