1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobe install in Peterson 424 lights

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by rwilimo, Mar 23, 2010.

1. rwilimo

rwilimo Member

I have a customer with standard grommit mount round backup lamps (Peterson 426), does anyone know if you can fit strobes in lights like these? If not is there any other option, like a strobe version of this light, I cannot install additional lamps??

Thanks for any help.

2. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

If you install lights in the oval housings, they housing will melt. I had a customer insist on doing this after I warned him. Sure enough, a month later his housings were destroyed, LOLOL.

As for the round ones, I've seen it done, but I refuse to do it. You can't use additional lamps?

3. rwilimo

rwilimo Member

Well it's a luxury bus that does wedding shows, he wants the lights just to attract attention at these shows, I don't know what kind of auxiliary light you could use that wouldn't look out of place unless you have another suggestion

4. SafetyLighting

Are there any pics of the bus online or can you email some to me?

5. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Whelen LED Vertex lights would work.

6. SafetyLighting

That's what I was thinking too, but I want to see exactly what this bus looks like.

7. oh8chevy2500

oh8chevy2500 Senior Member

does peterson offer a LED version of the light? upgrade to them and add a LED strobe flasher

8. rwilimo

rwilimo Member

This is from there web sight: http://www.tiffanylimo.com/models/F650LB.htm unfortunately it does not show the rear, but you get the idea. I was unaware of the led flashers, how well do they work, do they look anything like real strobes? If needed I will try to get some rear pics

9. SafetyLighting

All that work to make a custom Limo and they use standard incandescent round lights?

If you want to use the factory cutouts, you have a couple of options.

1) Keep the factory lights and install Hide-Away LED's in them
    2) Buy new LED lights and use a combination flasher so that you can maintain the factory functions and use the lightheads as warning lights as well.

So they want to have something to get a little attention when they demo the vehicle, is that right?

10. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

That's alot of strobe cable, like an extra 15' is there going to be a hot tub in the limo too?

11. rwilimo

rwilimo Member

Yeah incandescent lights believe it or not. I was able to get a hold of one of the lights and I think I would have trouble getting anything inside of this, it is very tight. I'm not even sure if an led light head would fit, also don't the led heads run rather hot?? I like the idea of the combination flasher, but what would I do in the front to match?? Yes this for attention at demo's.

12. oh8chevy2500

led's run very cool close to no heat ... and there are 2 style led flashers one i believe is just a flasher to do patterns such as a wigwag or just instant on n off ... strobe style has many more capabilities and i am also led to believe it has the same patterns as the normal flasher ... i've seen them used on the 6" oval Led heads on a couple of dumps around here and they are much more eye catching than a hideaway behind a red lense .. imo

13. SafetyLighting

LED's, in most cases, won't be nearly as hot as a strobe tube.

I'm going to work up some info for you later today.

14. SafetyLighting

How many lights are in the rear? Does it have four or six? Meaning are the turn signals separate from the brake lights?

15. rwilimo

rwilimo Member

I have to double check, but I believe 6 total, 4 red, 2 backup

16. SafetyLighting

Ok, and let me know exactly which ones you want to flash.

17. rwilimo

rwilimo Member

I am definitely thinking to make the backup's flash as well as the front markers

18. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

19. oh8chevy2500

are those the ones that have the crazy patterns where it looks like a lin led setup but then goes randomly in blocks around the whole lighthead? i think i saw them on the vid of the whelen show tahoe/suburban

20. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

yes it is the new m series