1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobe idea

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by kc2006, Nov 27, 2007.

1. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

I was thinking of how I want to do some strobes on my truck today and wanted to run it by everyone.

I at first thought of getting the hide away kits but I don't think it'll be bright enough in the rear, front I'd be fine with but rear I'd rather have amber instead of being in the tail lights and flashing red. So I thought about getting 2 oval shaped or even square shaped strobes and mounting them in small metal boxes and then mount those on my bumper. Or even in the bumper. Any thoughts on this?

If I were to do this, what are some good strobes like i mentioned (the oval or squares)? And how would wiring be for those? Would I need a control box?

Any help would be great, I've never messed with strobes.

2. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Check PM!!!!

3. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

First off, what kind of truck? Whelens are the brand I would recommend as their 90W power supply is plenty bright for most applications.

4. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

96 F250.

I probably am going to go with the hide aways. Mr clapper is helping me with the set up.

5. WALKERS

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

Are those rear lights going to be exposed to the elements (Weather)?

6. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

If I did the other lights I was going to get the grommet mount ones and get the boxes for them so they'd be sealed.

But I decided to just go hide aways. I think I'm going to piece together a kit, I can get all the parts for about 150 bucks

7. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

Had hideaways in my 02' f-250(SHO-ME 6outlet, 60W) Put them in the front turn signals and rear back-up lights. All clear strobe heads because clear is always brighter. Carried that same kit over to my 06' GMC. Same locations, same color and no problems. Laws also may restrict you from installing them in the red portion of your tail lights. With my GMC I also installed the amber oval LED strobes in the sides of my workbox because the side is the last place you want to get hit from. If you are interested I have more oval and 6" round LED strobes for sale. In stores you may see them at about $65/piece. Sell them to you four $25/piece. Pictures are available.

8. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Mr. Clapper? Sounds like that commercial Clap on...Clap off for Clapper!! LOL...Gotta pick on him abit!