1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobe help

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by chev_4x4, Nov 6, 2007.

1. chev_4x4

chev_4x4 Senior Member

I had a strobe off my old dump truck, that was mounted on the cab guard. I just recently mounted it on my leaf vac to add visibility behind the truck while in the street. It was working well then it just stoped working. I pulled the cover and it looks like the bulb burned out. My question is, is there any thing special I needed to do to wire this light up or is just running it straight ok? Or did the vibrations from the vac have something to do with it?
    Sorry I don't know much about strobes, always on here looking to grow my knowledge. Thanks for all the help.

2. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Well first thing that you need to do is before you mess with the bulb is make sure that there isn't any power going to the strobe pack. If you had some power to it or not sure just use a screwdriver and jump it like your jumping a vehicle using the cylinoid. You need to find out what kind of strobe it is. If it's curly it's a Helix tube. What ever you do Do NOT touch the tube with bare hands they pop worse than Haligans do. Should be a 1/4 turn and it will come out of the socket. When it's out just unplug it and put the new one on and reverse the process. Pwr it and try it out. Or if you want...Go someplace that may work on lights and stuff. Have them test it out. May cost a few $ but better to find out that way before buying a bunch of stuff to just find out it would be better to buy a new strobe.

3. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

The vibrations most certainly played a part in the demise of the strobe. Mount it else where, just not on the leaf vac itself.

4. chev_4x4

chev_4x4 Senior Member

Thanks for all the help, just keep it coming.

5. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

You could try to mount strobes or leds on the lower half of the vac. I've seen strobes mounted on the fender wells and leds right inline with all the marker lights!