1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobe help wanted

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by xtreem3d, Feb 17, 2016.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

hey guys,
    I no nothing about LED strobe light s and need a little help. I bought an I DOT dump truck at auction that had a Whelan setup for the giant light bar and some various strobe lights. I ripped it all out because I didn't want most of it. All I have left is 2 amber LED lights back by the tailgate that I would like to keep. What would I need to buy to get those 2 lights to strobe again? ( I got rid of the controller ect that was in the truck...way too much cluster of wiring for what I need and also remaking the center console)
    Steve

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

You need to see if those leds are self contained or if they need a flasher unit.
    Then that will determine where you need to go next.

3. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Can you explain the differences? if I take off the amber lens will I know?

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Unusually the self contained are thinker and have (sonetimes) heat sink built in as part of the housing
    Might have there name on.them, and if you can read the name, that will.tell you if it's a strobe or not
    If it's just leds, you'd just need a flasher unit for it.

5. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

put power to the light. if it is a flasher you will know.

leolkfrm likes this.
  6. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

Ding ding ding.... lolol Pretty much...

leolkfrm likes this.
  7. Zigblazer

Zigblazer Member

If they aren't a self contained flasher light, you can wire in a flasher module like a Rigid 40312 3 Amp LED Flasher. I can't attest to how long the Rigid one will work, because I just put it in and got it wired up. I have it controlling 4 corner lights on one circuit and 2 side with a front and rear on the other. It seems to work great.