1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobe caution lite on fiberglass top??

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by whiteowl, Dec 15, 2010.

1. whiteowl

whiteowl Junior Member

I have a Jeep Wrangler with a fiberglass cab I use for personal plowing. I feel I should mount an amber strobe light on the roof for traffic safety (It may even be required by law) Problem: All the freemount strobe lights I have seen have a magnetic base. How do I safely mount a magnetic base strobe light, or any other base, to a fiberglass roof without drilling any holes or spreading epoxy on the top (which I won't do!!!) Any ingenious suggestions out there?

2. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

I saw a guy who had a jeep, and he welded a 4" piece of 1" ID pipe to the inside of the rear bumperet on one side. Then he used a piece of 1" OD pipe that reached just above the top. He then drilled a hole through the pipe that was welded fast and a hole in one end of the long pipe. that way he would slid the smaller pipe into the bigger pipe and use a bolt to fasten them together, that way in the summer take out the bolt and remove the light. He then drilled another hole in the pipe just above where the bumper was to run the wires up through the pipe so they wouldn't be flapping in the wind. At the top he welded a flat piece of steel to mount the light to. If you have a reciever on the back you could use that and do basicaly the same thing.
  3. leon

leon Senior Member

jeep and strobe light

Adding to Geer heads excellent suggestion;

Another option would be to mount the strobe

on a piece of angle iron that is bolted to the top of

the windshield frame and clears the roof line.

be sure to mount the strobe on the roof side of the

jeep as the flash will blind you using a piece of 6 or 8 inch

angle iron (been there done that) idiot installer-not me.
    Thumbs Up

(Be sure to bend the angle iron to level do to the slope
    of the windshield)

Geer Heads suggestion makes the installation easier on the
    incoming traffic as it is way above eye level within which it
    reduces the glare to a vehicle that is approaching you as they
    will blind you within direct line of sight teporarily.
    This is why the light bars are above the roof line of wreckers
    and other vehicles.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  4. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

This is a good idea, but I have some modifcations, grab a piece of tube steel that fits your hitch nice and snug. Arc weld a piece of pipe (60") to the tube steel. Take an oxy/ acy torch and cut a circle out of mild steel. Weld (arc) that to the pipe and stick your light on that also you'll probably want to use 6010. If you have a tire on the back then you'll have to do a few more cuts with the tube steel.
  5. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Another idea is to maybe fasten a metal plate to the top of the roof using a quality double sided trim tape such as 3M auto trim type (Walmart auto dept.). Then use the magnetic light. I just bought a 6x6 electrical box cover for 69 cents at Menards and mounted that to the light tab on my roll bar & use a magnetic light on that. Of course when applying the tape you want it clean (use alcohol) and warm, use heat gun or hair dryer.

You can buy one of those light bars that clamp on the rain gutters, like, http://www.quadratec.com/products/72112_10X_PG.htm
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  6. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

try the Jeep thread and search button.
  7. greg8872

greg8872 Member

If the top is fairly thin, buy a strong magnet the same size (or bigger) than the one on the light, put the light on top, then from inside let the other magnet attract to the on through the fiberglass to the one in the light. Test seeing how much force you need to pull them back apart though, and even if you feel it is good, do it in an area no one will be sitting under. just in case a really good bump jars it (or a tree branch knocks the light off).

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Almost all Jeep's I have seen with a light of some sort were mounted either on the back some how on a pipe above the roof line or perma mounted with a thin pc of plastic inside for backing to lessen the chance of it cracking off. Rotators look best I think for a single light.
  9. Mabepossibly

Mabepossibly Senior Member

It can also be used to mount some takedown or alley lights that could be helpfull in plowing tight areas.
  10. harddock

harddock Member
    from mass

You can also mount strobes in your parking and tail lights. Will require drilling bit won't show.
  11. KEC Maintaince

KEC Maintaince Senior Member
    from N.J.

absoluty thats what i was thinking
  12. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

The windshield frame mounted lightbar is a good idea, you just need to be cautious as to what type lights you use. If you try to use the off road style they are 100 watt and according to DOT they are to bright, and if you use them on the road you can get fined. Also the hide-a-way strobes are also a good idea but again by law they have to be visable 360 degrees and that is hard to accomplish on a wrangler due to the way the lights are made. Now this is of course the way the law is written here, they may be different in your area.
  13. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

i have strobes mounted underneath my rear tail lights between the tail light and the top of the bumper... have more of them mounted up front to the front of my side mirrors... will try and get pics up soon for a better visual. 4 of them in all.
  14. tsut

tsut Member
    from NE Ohio

Wrangler hard top Strobe mount

My (new) mounting - updated from last year. Sturdy. Removable. Mag mount light is also bolted to thin sheet metal. Added a felt cushion underneath. Idea was to contour it to the shape of the front edge (looks like a wing cross-section).

Install: Slides into gasket space between windscreen frame top and roof line. Unclamp latches, slightly lift roof, slide in, reclamp.

Not bouncing, not slapping. No leaks (yet). Might add a touch of gasketing... always something to improve upon!

15. nancy145

nancy145 Junior Member

I have the magnetic one that plugs into the cigarette lighter and use a strong magnet on the inside of the roof. Works great! No cutting holes or wiring and it's on and off easy.
  16. Liberty LLC

Liberty LLC Member
    from NJ

You can always buy a small single or double light for your windshield and one for the rear window. They are plenty bright and suction cup so when you need them hang them and when you don't have them stored in a bin at home or under a seat out of thr way. No drilling needed that wate