1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobe Bright in Daylight

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by gottaluvplows, Nov 1, 2009.

1. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

the title pretty much explains it..... i want some strobe (i mean like a Beacon) that is bright enough to grab a bit of attention...I dont know if you have seen the road commissions but their lightbars are sooo bright you can see them a mile away(Prob. not but you get what i mean) I just dont know what brand they are..
    Anyone have an suggestions on them or another good one???

thx Nick

2. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

I beleive your gonna find that Michigam uses Whelen Products on a majority of there trucks.It has a few years since I was in Mi. but thats what they were using then

3. samjr

samjr Senior Member

i got a Whelen

my Whelen light bar is LED and let me tell ya man u can see her along ways if u can see a Whelen from 1/2 mile away then there something worng with your light :D tymusic

4. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

most Whelen stuff is built for distance

5. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

To answer your question, if you want a beacon, then any 20+watt strobe will be bright day or night.

6. plowmanben

plowmanben Member
    from MI

I have a friend that works at the road commission and they all use Whelen

7. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I've been researching these a little too. I notice the Ecco brand (eccolink.com) has an interesting line of strobe beacons called the SmartStrobe. Self adjusting light intensity depending on day or night conditions via photo eye cell. This might be nice because a really bright day time one may be way too much at night. I have a a cheap Whelen LED mini beacon and it isn't too good for day time visibility. Trying to decide between another strobe or maybe a mini rotator like Ecco's belt drive model.

Few more thoughts: I think a lot of road maintenance beacons are large in physical size which helps in distance viewing. I know they have Class I, II, & III. I am sure they are Class I. Also, I think as far as beacons go - a real strobe tube is far brighter than any LED beacon (that emulates a strobe).

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  8. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

the new whelen LED beacons are amazing n the day light as well

as for ECCO they stuff seems poorly built