1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strobe beacon wiring?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by chs1993, Mar 14, 2010.

1. chs1993

chs1993 Senior Member

I have a signal stat strobe beacon thats a perm. mount, I was wondering if someone could tell me the best way to hard wire it in. Any help would be great

2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Drill thru your roof and then lexel it up

3. chs1993

chs1993 Senior Member

Its mounted on a weatherguard cab protect a rail, I was thinking running the wire in threw the third brake light and fishing it threw the roof liner and coming down the a post to a switch on the dash just not sure of the best power supply to use.

4. ajslands

Good luck!

5. chs1993

chs1993 Senior Member

Wow thanks

6. ajslands

I've never gone thru third brake so I have no idea what it's like, ask John he might know, (safteylightingandequipment)

7. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Don't know how old of a light it is but it may be self contained and just needs 12v pwr. If you can post a picture of it maybe it would help...

yes you can go thru the 3rd brake light and down the side if you need a strobe pwr supply but depending on they type of truck you may have wiring in the headliner that you can use.

8. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

We go through (under) the CHMSL on all of our Super Duties. As long as you don't get silly with wire diameter, you won't have any problems. I generally ground the light by drilling a hole just inside the CHMSL and terminating the ground there with a self tapping screw. I then run the hot lead across the top / rear of the headliner and then inside the weather strip going across the top of the door opening and down the A-pillar. (This helps avoid having to remove too many trim pieces.)

Once you get to the bottom of the A-pillar, it's a simple matter to run it over to the fuse box and connect to an appropriate fuse. Several cautions here. First, select an "appropriate" circuit. A strobe type light is relatively low draw, but you never want to tap into what I call "mission critical" circuits such as ECM / PCM, Fuel Pump, etc.

Second, make sure you use an approved method of tapping into a circuit. There are several companies out there that make what I'll just call "fuse taps" that allow you to safely tap into a circuit to get 12 volts. Make sure you include an appropriately sized in line fuse just down the line from where you tapped in too. Finally, neatness counts when doing this kind of work. Not only does it look better, but it's generally safer and makes trouble shooting down the road much easier.

9. chs1993

chs1993 Senior Member

Thanks for the imput have it mounted works great! Finding room on the dash of a 2005 super duty was alittle hard. Had a hard time finding some where to mount 2 switches in a good spot. I think after seeing the strobe beacon im going to switch it to a led beacon class 1. I'll post some pics im the picture forum after I wire the leds under the tailgate thurs or friday.

10. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Glad I could be of some help. I've mounted all of our switches in the Super Duties just to the right of the stering wheel in the dash. There's a great spot that you can access from the front & rear there. The rear access is through the area that opens up when you remove the panel that covers the fuse box under the steering wheel. There's also a very convenient ground right there if you decide to use a lighted switch.

11. John911

John911 Member

12. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

That's cool John, how did you find it?

13. chs1993

chs1993 Senior Member

Interesting idea, I dont think it would really look right on my trucks