1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stripped Threads

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BrendonV, Sep 21, 2002.

1. BrendonV

BrendonV Junior Member

I have a 1979 Chevy K10 i am rebuliding. I was about to put my vibration damper back on my engine when i noticed the threads were stripped out inside of the crankshaft. I beleive the threads are 7/16. Should i use a tap and die to clean up the threadsm possibly a Heli-Coil???

any suggestions????????

thanks BrendonV (16):confused:

2. Rocky383

Rocky383 Junior Member
    from alaska

the best solution would be to replace the crank but... otherwise i would probably tap them to 1/2 in. although i dont know what that would do to the balance.

3. raceman6135

raceman6135 Member

I've never had that happen on any of my small block Chevrolets, but I had that happen once to a 454 big block. I just used the next size larger fine thread tap, made sure after I tapped the crank that there was enough thread "depth" so that they wouldn't strip again, and went to the bolt supply house and purchased the appropriate grade 8 bolt. Cost me 25 cents for the bolt, I borrowed the tap (so it was free), and I didn't have to try to install 2 or 3 Heli-Coils because the bolt is so long.

DJS

4. ShafferNY

ShafferNY Junior Member

I just had a similar thing happen to my 350 about two months ago. I was rebuilding the motor and was reassembling everything and didn't notice the treads stripped in the end of my crank until I had the bottom end all buttoned up. The previous owner of the truck stuck the wrong bolt in there and messed up the treads. I ended up tapping it out to a 7/16" course thread, the original, I believe was a 7/16" fine thread.

I just had to drill it to the right size for the tap and run a tap down it. Everything when back together as normal and I haven't had any problems with it yet. I also used some thread locker on the bolt, just for some piece of mind that it wasn't coming off due to vibration.

5. BrendonV

BrendonV Junior Member

hey guys,

i ended up buying a tapset, then i ran the correct size tap through, then used the di on the bolt and it worked great.
    i was a little nervous about it, but i can breath now.
    thanks for the help

brendonv:D