1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

stripped the sander

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ddb maine, Oct 22, 2010.

1. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

When I got it last year it had been clearly neglected. The price was incredible, so I took the gamble and bought it.

I went to the local equipment supplier and got the truck side harness and after some finagling it threw sand like a fish in heat. The biggest problem I had with it was that my sand was kept outside all winter and with intermittent rain between freezing temps I was routinely picking out soccerball sized glaciers. Even with the tarp over it! who woulda thought!
    Anyways this year I have come into the acquisition of an 1850 farm house with a plentiful sized barn. 4yrds of sand now resides inside along with my sander, which of course was kept under another tarp outside all winter as well. So now that all my belonging are now located indoors under one roof I decided to celebrate by stripping the sander down and repainting it.

The rust on it was deep, I pulled off by hand several 1/16" layers of steel. This thing definitely threw salt in its past. I'm bad at remembering to take pictures. so they are sparse.
    Now the torpedo heater is running down there to speed up drying time as the temp is stuck at about 40. I'm thinking about pulling the fisher decal off the hopper and replacing it with my logo and number.

I also now know without a doubt why i cant seem to hold onto a complete socket set to save my life.

2. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

looks good. pulling the fisher decal and replacing with your co name and # is a good idea. better yet get your truck lettered. I get more calls from my trucks then any other advertising i do.....
  3. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

Thats funny. The only calls I have gotten from having my trucks lettered is people looking for work! hah. I have built up a good client base over the past years and being just me it doesn't take a lot to keep busy.