1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stripped pump drain plug hole.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by shep28, Nov 10, 2012.

1. shep28

shep28 Member

I have a stripped drain plug hole in the pump. What are my options?

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Depends on the plow you are dealing with. If its an old isarmatic aluminum cast pump housing with intigrated reservoir and lift cylinder then just drill it to the next pipe size and retap it to the next bigger plug. If it is a flowstat unit with the removable tin reservoir then you can just get a new reservoir.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You can get expanding rubber fill plugs at most auto parts stores

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Expanding rubber plug??? Sounds Micky Mouse to me. A rubber plug in a cast aluminum housing that came from the factory with a steel plug. If a rubber plug was suitable and reliable the Western engineers would have designed it that way. You don't want to be fixing this again the next time it snows. Fix it right the first time. Bubble gum and bailer twine is not a proffesional fix. And by the way, this is not a fill plug it's a drain plug, big difference there.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I agree the rubber plug may not be the best long term solution. But it is a viable solution if the proper tools and supplies are not available, and it's snowing.

Just trying to offer an alternative repair to the OP.