1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stripped Lift Valve

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by cliffy, Jan 13, 2010.

1. cliffy

cliffy Junior Member
    from Boston

I have a Western cable operated pump and the lift valve adjustment is stripped out.:realmad:
    Anyone know of a way to fix this? The pump is solid otherwise, so if anyone is selling a broken one that I could rebuild with my parts I'd be willing to buy ASAP for the right price. Thanks!:drinkup:

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

I guess what your saying, the head (were the 1/4 hex wrench) is stripped and it is no longer a hex?

I would try this.

Were the arrow shows, have you try to apply heat and use a metric hex wrench that is ( I know it is a 1/4 hex) equivalent to the size required to remove the lift valve?

Before you apply heat, find a wrench that is the next size up from 1/4 hex, tap into place, apply enough heat to were the valve will start to turn out..Then remove the valve, and let the casing cool down..

Once you remove the valve, you will have to replace it..

lftval.jpg

here is the pdf photo from page 5-6
    http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/62880.pdf

lftval.jpg

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  3. cliffy

cliffy Junior Member
    from Boston

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The bung is stripped out, can't get the new valve to stay in place and not leak.

4. twinman326

The threads are strip out. So you try to re-tap the hole and it is not holding the valve in place and causing the "o" ring to leak?

You might be able to try a heliCoil if they have the size you need??

To me anything is repairable....

5. cliffy

cliffy Junior Member
    from Boston

Helicoil is a great suggestion. Thanks for the help! I know it's a long shot, but any chance anyone here knows the thread size?

6. twinman326

The threads on the valve hex, still has threads on it?? If so, bring it with you to the auto parts store, and they can tell you, and help you regarding what you will need...

Good luck, and let us know how you made out..

Also I would download that PDF and keep it somewhere. It has a section showing you how to rebuild the pump

7. cliffy

cliffy Junior Member
    from Boston

Will do. Thanks again and I will respond with how I made out.

8. twinman326

Your welcome, and good luck

9. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

If the thread repair wont work I have a bunch of cases in stock can ship one today first thing. Give me a call. (847) 791-7932

10. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Same damn thing just happend to me when I was fixing my subs speedcast.

11. bwalsh

bwalsh Junior Member

same thing

The same thing happened to me. I smacked a T-50 (if i remember correctly) torx head in there with a 3/8" ratchet and got it rite out.