1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stripped head on Alternator bolt needs removal?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Northman, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

1989 GMC K1500 Alternator bolt.
    I noticed while plowing today I was starting to lose my alternator charging. So I went ahead and picked up a new alternator and had everything done and removed except for the last bottom alternator bolt. Which turned out to have a rounded off 1/2" head by a prior owner I guess.
    I tried everything from metric, vise grips, channel locks, chisel and hammer. But I can not get a good of enough grip to break it free. Using heat is not a option. Need something that I can get a good grip with and not just spin off the head of the bolt. I am working outside and freezing my back side off, so I need some help. Looking for ideas before this alternator leaves me hanging. Thanks

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

is there enough room to get a socket on it?

if so go buy a set of those hammer on type sockets... they get almost anything that is rounded off ... off

a good set is upwards of 80 bucks ...worth every penny

3. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

I could get a socket on it, but hammer space is very very limited, I tried getting a regular socket to go on snug and could only get a half but attempt with the hammer head sideways.

Where would one find these hammer on sockets that cut into the bolt head?

4. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Easy out...hook it on you drill and drill the sucka out! Just make sure your in the center of the bolt.

5. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

spray the heck out of all threads and the back side of the bolt with wd40. why isnt heat an option. alts bad anyway. pound a socket on it.

6. elite1msmith

from chicago

7. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

8. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Go to Sears and buy one of those socket sets that are made for stripped out bolts and nuts. They bite right down onto the bolt. these things are nothing but awesome. There are different sets with different sizes, but when I saw how they work, I went and bought them all. This will do it.

9. elite1msmith

from chicago

also one more thing ...dependingn on how the alternator is held on... you might be able to grind or drill the bolt head flush... then slip the alternator off? which would leave 1 inch or so of exposed bolt to gab with vise grips

10. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

If you don't have room for a drill you may be able to get a 4" grinder and grind the head off the bolt. Spray what is left with WD40 then use a sharp pair of Vice grips to back out what is left. I have done this many times.

man you guys are fast sorry for the repeat

11. elite1msmith

from chicago

:nod: i would buy both metric , and standard... just becasue you might have rounded it enough to be "between sizes" were a stnadard might fit on a metic

you might also take a guess at what bolt you need while your at the store, based on the other bolts that came out. your going to have to replace it

12. no lead

you could also weld a 5/8 nut over the stripped out one. heat from the weld will loosen the bolt if you oiled it. then slap a 15/16 socket on the new nut.

13. elite1msmith

from chicago

thats a good one,,, iv never done that.... im going to remember that next time

14. no lead

like a charm it works. i've done it on powerunits, valves, engines. you name it. some caution is prudent.

15. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

Found the extractor sockets that cut in and ones that have a moving objects inside that rotate in tighter as you go, Thanks for the ideas.

16. elite1msmith

from chicago

did it work?

17. Runner

Runner Senior Member

No doubt...Inquiring minds want to know...

18. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

You'll never be able to swing a hammer in there...

19. elite1msmith

from chicago

they dont all need to be hammered on.... and i have used chisels, or extenions to hammer in tight areas

20. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

I just bought the sockets that cut in as it is getting tighter that advance auto had. I had been snowed in for 2 days and finally gave up and called the farmer across the road to bring the cab over 4x4 tractor with 9' plow to save me and my burned up motor plow and stuck 4x4's buried in my 700' farm lane.

Advanced didn't have the metric set so I could have the in between ones just in case. I was getting had to have supplies that was tearing up from storm, extra wipers, water etc. Plow pump motor showed up and alternator is next. Will update when and how they worked for me.