1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

stripped drain plug

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by pale rider, Dec 16, 2008.

1. pale rider

pale rider Junior Member

removed one of the drain plugs on my E47 and threads either stripped taking out or putting back in. Other than helicoil any other ideas to fix?

plug actually shoots out when you activate plow. can't believe those plugs only have at most 3 threads under that pressure.

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

afraid your out of luck. i've never been able to repair one that didn't leak. try craigs list? google "used e 47 meyer". not much on ebay.

3. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

I had the same problem on my western, used a single overside plug for a car, just had to rill the hole a little bigger and tap it....

4. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

Just go the next size up for npt. Because of the interference they won't leak and I believe the original drain plug is a pipe thread anyhow. So if its 1/8" npt go to 3/16" pt or even 1/4" npt. Might be hard to find the tap for 3/16" npt along with a plug I got mine from NAPA

5. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

Also here is a cheaper (read harder) way to do it. Since its more than likely a pipe thread commonly known as npt it has smaller threads that progressively get bigger. So it might be possible to retap with the same size pipe tap but with the larger portion of the threads and then get a new plug and thread it in until you have it pretty much buried. Problem with this is pretty obvious A) you may not have enough room behind the opening to thread the tap in far enough to accomplish anything and B) threading the plug in that far may block passages inside the pump. Workaround would be to cut the tap so only the parts of it that bite are left and grind down the plug so it will not block any passages. Be alot easier to go up in size though than all this. I only put this up cause some folks have more time than money and this is a cheap way around it.

6. artic429

artic429 Senior Member

You can buy the "bottom" taps. It doesn't have the tapered end on it so bad. I just ran across a few great deals on craigslist. New pumps and blades and controls etc...real cheap..in the Illinois- rockford area or quad cities area on the craigslist. Deals as good as this guy has wont last long if they are legit. Good luck.