1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Striped a bolt on my 20 YO Western

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by plowcrack, Dec 21, 2010.

1. plowcrack

plowcrack Member

I cant upload the picture to this thread but please check in my gallery...its the only one there...

The lower bolt hole in the picture (my pointer finger) got striped and made a helluva bang when we replaced the O ring and tested it. ATF everywhere! Gotta retap it with larger bolt now.. Any Tips? Does anybody have an exploded parts diagram of this unit?

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

are we missing a link to your photo???

3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I've never actually seen one bust open before. I replaced mine for the heck of it when I did my restoration.

Simple, cheap...minus the re tap of coarse. Easy enough fix though, Aluminum is fairly soft.

Fisher / Western Part number is 5824 / 25968 1" Base Lug $22.30

fisher-pp-cable.jpg

fisher-pp-cable.jpg

4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

5. plowcrack

plowcrack Member

Here is the picture. Yeah I figured a helicoil would b the best way to go so I'll try that. Reason I asked for the exploded diagram was to see if there was any part that went into the hole above the lug. When I took it apart I thought I heard something drop to the floor but that diagram tells me there is nothing there except the bottom of the cylinder shaft. Thanks for the diagram.

When I replaced the O ring and wrenched the bolts back in, I knew I was going into aluminum so I did not gorilla grip the bolts. So I am suprised I had such a catistrophic failure of the threads. My poor wife was in the cab of the truck actuating the up/down while I checked for leaks when it blew. I jumped back so fast she thought she'd injured me.

Picture.jpg

6. plowcrack

plowcrack Member

Another Question...

Is it possible I filled the pump with too much ATF and caused the blow? I used a large syringe with some surgical tubing to fill it up to the top of the plug hole, then backed off to make room for the plug itself. I was using a narrow funnel but this method prooved messy cause the air cant escape. I put just slightly more than a quart of ATF in the unit.

7. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

you can get them to full but it just causes a hydraulic lock . just need to push the ram all the way down and fill it up to the bottom of the thread's at the bottom of the plug hole ,you got to have a little air space .i believe the base lug was designed to be a weak link that would break before the housing like when stacking snow .

8. twinman326

I see an "arrow" pointing to the center hole where the "o" ring seal against (or maybe I am seeing it wrong).. If you think the hole had threads, it don't.. Just replace the o ring.. The two should be snug, not to tight to create the seal..

As for filling, remove the fill plug and with the lift piston down all the way, fill the housing up only before it the fluid hit the top of the threads of the filler plug..I would then (with a 2x4 under the plow) swing the plow manually to the right, wait, then left, wait, then center.. Then re-check the level..this will get any air out of the system..

Here is the link for the mechanic's guide
    http://www.pdfdownload.org/pdf2html...common/dd_pdf/pdfs/62880_060304_rescanned.pdf

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  9. plowcrack

plowcrack Member

Right on Twinman. Thanks for the tip. Yeah I put the arrow on there to indicate the spot where I thought something had droped out during disassembly. The bolt hole below my pointer finger is the one that striped. It appears the cup shape in the removable lug is like a dirt pipe on a natural gas system in your home to capture crap at the lowest point. It was chock full of crap when I removed it the first time. Thanks again.

10. twinman326

U might have to do a full system flush...The mechanic's guide will help you out greatly...I would of just tap the hole one size bigger.........

11. plowcrack

plowcrack Member

Mechanics guide saved to Fav's. She got the royal flush last night after the catastrophie.

I'm gonna go ahead and helicoil the sucker. Been meaning to invest in the tool for years now I have an excuse. Have used them on a monthly basis at work for a couple years now....

Thanks again...

12. twinman326

Good luck..

13. plowcrack

plowcrack Member

Well got the helicoil in, filled her up, and on the 3rd pass on my property the same damn thing happened to the opposite bolt on the mounting lug. Something told me I should have done them both while I had the unit on the hood of the truck the first time. The only up shot this time was that it happened outside instead of making a bloody mess inside my garage. Got her back in and fixed up right this time and only took about 30 minutes.

The world is good now and got my property plowed.

Thanks to all for the good advice.

14. twinman326

It seems like your smiling now....good job..

Happy holidays, and safe plowing

15. plowcrack

plowcrack Member

All Smiles nowussmileyflag