1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strip Mall plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cleansweep007, Sep 1, 2009.

1. cleansweep007

cleansweep007 Senior Member

Greetings all !
    This afternoon I got a call from somebody that wants me to do their snow removal this winter. I naturally agreed shot a price after looking at the property and everything is a go. One small thing I have never plowed out a stip mall. It has a pretty good size parking lot and quite a few stores. Any body have any good advice ? Thanks a lot every one and happy plowing !!!

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Questions is have you ever plowed a lot before? How big is the lot? Will there be a lot of cars in the lot during the day? Does it have plenty of places to store the snow? Are there light posts all over the place? You need to give us more details about the job or a picture and we ca give you more advice on how to attack it come winter. But my advice to you is to walk the area and figure out exactly how you are going to plow the lot right when you get on the property. I do that with every new lot I pick up. I play it over in my head what is going to be my first pass, where am I am going to stack the snow, what will I do if there are cars all over the place, what looks like a hazard to me or the truck and plow. You do this and the first time you head out there you will not be so overwhelmed. because a Lot may look easy with no snow on it, but once the white stuff starts falling it is a whole new playing field out there. After a few times of clearing the lot you will find your stride and you will take a time of how long it takes. Good Luck

3. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

See Burkartsplow, you are on your game tonight! That's great advice, I couldn't have said it better myself...well I could have but I didn't want to type that much! :D

4. cleansweep007

here's a pic.

I have plowed lots before but nothing quite this spread out. Hopefully this picture will help with feedback.
    Thanks !

2009-09-09_19-17_logan ave, waterloo, ia second pic.jpg

5. big acres

big acres Senior Member

No offense, but up here you'd be lucky to find a manager who would give you retail that big without some serious cred, which maybe you have in other types of properties.

A. Find out when the first store opens, when the last one closes, when deliveries come and go in the night.
    B. What are the walk specs... that is alot of snow going right onto the lot. You'll need a machine and/or a couple of guys for sure before you drop the blade.
    C. Are you doing rear service doors, dumpster enclosures, all that stuff?
    D. How much salt will they pay for?
    E. What have you got lined up for equipment.
    F. Does all snow go to perimeter during event, or can you create false islands and move later, if at all?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  6. chrisby316

chrisby316 Senior Member

that lot is huge!

7. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

How many of your loaders (or tractors) are you gonna place on that lot? Do they have 14ft blades on them? Is there any 24hr grocery stores, & if so you have a tight timeline to get it cleared. ect ect ect...

8. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

at least you "shot a price" before you figured out what would all be involved on your end. good to see!!!

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

All these things should have been worked out and asked before you put in a bid. At least that is how I do it.

10. cleansweep007

Big Acres, I see you are a Minneapolis pusher. I am going to be up there the next few days starting a lawn care business and snow removal with my brother. He lives up in Edina and wanted to start a branch of my company up there. What's your business name up there ?

11. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Hope you got some loaders with box plows. And at least a cupple pickup trucks.

12. Burkartsplow

If you are doing that with one truck have fun with that:dizzy:. What equipment are you going to be using on it.

13. cleansweep007

We have 3 chevy pick up trucks and a ford bronco. We also have one bobcat with a snow blade and I am purchasing another bobcat and a pro-tech pusher in October. We have access to a loader if we need one. The last guys did this lot with two chevy 2500 hd with 8 ft blades I heard. Too much for just two trucks !!!

14. Burkartsplow

Well it looks like you have the equipment for the job. I think the bobcat with a pusher and another truck with an 8.5 ft blade with wings would do you well on that lot. Maybe another truck can stop in if you need the help doing a full clear of the lot during the closing hours. Good luck.

15. cleansweep007

Hey thanks all the fellas that gave me some great ideas. Good luck with plowing this season fellow plowers. We are counting down the days here and setting up a great amount of contracts. All we need now is Snow !!!

16. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

good questions there... for something of that size, id say you'd be needing at least an 8 or 10' push box, 2 8-9' plows, V plows if you can help it, a big v box spreader, 2-3 snow blower crew at minimum with 28" or wider commercial walk behinds or a small sidewalk tractor/atv plow or blower and two shovelers... thats no joke. The lot will take a while because of all the obstacles and areas you'd need to push snow depending on the depth.

Ive done a few pretty large places before and you'd be amazed at the things that happen when it takes you 10 minutes to circle a building in the dead of a snow storm, come back around and it looks as if you wernt even there already :/

Id say 2 8 or 10' pushboxes and 2 trucks would be even better on a site like that. Hope you already have that kind of equipment or the pay is enough to cover all of the rentals.