1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

strictly by the hour customer

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by snow&weeds, Oct 28, 2014.

1. snow&weeds

snow&weeds Junior Member

Hey everyone, I was just looking for a little advice on an account I was just put in charge of last year. As it was my first one, I thought I did it right last year but I was just informed that we lost out somehow.. The customer strictly wants the bid broken down into onsite hourly costs per man and equipment (that is hours the equipment is being used, not just onsite). The areas we clear of snow are large paved lots, gravel lots, walks and porches, at least a mile of sidewalks, and industrial area roadways. Safety equipment and potential hazards on the property are high. I'm considering price ranges from $50-60/hr for a shovel man, $120-$140/hr for a Man in a f350 plow truck with salter, $100-120/hr for a man in a skidsteer with plow, $65-70/hr for a man with a snowblower, $75-90/hr for a man in a UTV with a plow.

We are at this customers beckon-call and have to respond only when they call us which makes planning very difficult. They do provide their own salt though. I thought my prices were fair but their property also causes us a lot of maintenance costs. Am I in the ballpark here?

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

30 for side walk

120 for picks up

150 for skids

And 200 for loaders

Is what we charge

3. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I can't answer I'm in a different area
    But your prices seem fair and is around what I would be except I get $225 an hour for skid with 10 foot pusher they do more than a truck

4. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

they want to see how you justify the price . lose that bozo . you dont need to be bullied anytime by a customer who wants to run your business .

bill by .5 hr. with a minimum charge of $35.00 or whatever service charge amt your comfortable with. . . . just like any other business .

5. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

I don't charge hourly but your prices sound about where we would be. I'd recommend a minimum charge of two hours or however many hours would make it worth it to you.

6. mtnbktrek

mtnbktrek Senior Member
    from NEPA

Or they just want an hourly schedule....
    I do hourly it's great. Why would you charge by .5 hour and have a min charge??? That's dumb.
    And I do a 4 hr min - unless it's just salt.

7. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Tell them as soon as you get a breakdown of their costs you'll give them yours.

8. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

"" We are at this customers beckon-call and have to respond only when they call us which makes planning very difficult. They do provide their own salt though. I thought my prices were fair but their property also causes us a lot of maintenance costs. Am I in the ballpark here? ""

naa , whats dumb is you having to wait for their phone call . thats dumb .
    whos running the show ? you or them ?

9. mtnbktrek

mtnbktrek Senior Member
    from NEPA

naa , whats dumb is you having to wait for their phone call . thats dumb .
    whos running the show ? you or them ?[/QUOTE]

Well I'm sure they got a pretty good idea when they r gunna get called. And they are running the show. Why the heck wouldn't u like hourly??? No fighting over the trigger no worries over losing ur rear over a seasonal. Only thing that customer may say is ur milking it but we have yet to have that happen to us