1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strickly vbox spreaders in pickups?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by PrecisionS&I, Dec 15, 2014.

1. PrecisionS&I

PrecisionS&I Member
    from Ohio

I was messing around on line and stumbled across a companies website. Company is a large snow only company located in MA. They have a gallery section on their page and it shows pictures of their fleet. It appears that they only run pickup trucks (19) with vbox spreaders in them. We have been toying with the idea of getting away from dump trucks with under tailgate spreaders and moving to cab and chassis trucks with the vbox mounted to the frame. We were looking at international 4300 but now after seeing a fleet of pickups set up like this I am wondering if it is more efficient? Any thoughts or anyone no the company and how they operate.

2. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

I think it could depend on what type of properties you have where they are and how many. For me i have one vbox and i salt everything everyone else after they plow after i plow. But if you have a huge parking lot you might need a dump truck. I eventually want to get to the point that we buy a dump for strictly salting and shoveling, i really do not like having my vbox in my truck because i back up blind and really cant see anything so its dangerous and to buy a vbox for every truck is a lot of money. say you have a fleet of 10 trucks, you buy 10 vbox's that cost 4000 (on the cheap end of a saltdogg) and your spending 40,000. i guess im not quite sure but i would rather just have one dump and maybe a couple spreaders for the properties that might be a little too far to have the dump go to

3. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

I think you need a mix honestly. A big limitation to a pick up is the capacity. You would spend more time refilling and they will be rolling around with 5-6k in the bed. If your accounts are close by and close to where you store material it wouldn't be too bad. A dedicated truck with a big spreader I feel would work with a mix of Vboxs. What works for them may not work for you, their business model is clearly based around the truck. I feel in your situation you would be going back wards

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

So many variables here to make a "correct" decision. Me personally, I would rather run several 2-3 yard v boxes than 1 or 2 large v boxes but if we did a bunch of larger lots and dont keep salt on the lot then we would have a need for a large v box for the capacity.

5. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Senior Member
    from NW Ohio

We run all one ton Ford crew cabs with Salt Dogg poly V-Box spreaders and it works GREAT ! And if you look around you can get the spreaders for $3100 to $3350 off season when they are placing their fall stock orders at the dealers.

6. procuts0103

procuts0103 Senior Member

You stumble across case snow management website???

7. PrecisionS&I

PrecisionS&I Member
    from Ohio

Yep!

Right now we run 2 c4500 with under tailgate spreaders and a 3500 flatbed with an airflow vbox. I love the vbox and think that if it was mounted right to the chassis the visibility would be far better than the dumps. Plus add a backup camera and there should be no reason to back into something. Next year I was planning on replacing one of the 4500s with a 4300 international with a 6 yard pto driven vbox. After seeing Case snow it got me thinking of just going with the smaller vbox spreaders on the one tons. I also planned on picking up 2 f350 dual rear wheel flatbed trucks for next season. Now maybe just putting 2 vbox spreaders on the 350's. Just ideas nothing set in stone yet.

8. bayfish

bayfish Junior Member

How do you like your salt dogg spreaders.

9. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

Case has plenty of larger trucks not pictured in their website I know for a fact they have a few 350's and 450's that they use for small scale snow moving usually not sure if they have spreaders in them.

10. Precedence

Precedence Senior Member

We have 3 snowex 7550's, one 8500 and a tailgate salter on a dump truck. It is better for us to have the pickups with the vboxes do most of our salting as our niche market is small to medium commercial lots. The few large lots we have the dump truck does.

It all depends on what you are doing.