1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stressful plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Italiano67, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I I am curious what everyones top list of things that wear on you the most about the snow biz.It seems like the actual plowing is still enjoyable for me but after 8 years I find that trying to plan plowing schedules and unpredictable start and stop snow times is my biggest problem. If you could just have a plan and go do it would be one thing but it almost never works that way. The snow that lingers on into the morning after plowing all night and makes everything look covered bugs me because you are always unsure if you can relax or if you need to do the route again. Yes we do salt but when it is super cold all it takes a heavy dusting and your nice clean lots look crappy.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Nothing really.

3. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

I'd say the most stressful is getting employees lined up and hoping they show.

4. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

#1 Pricing jobs

#2 Pricing jobs

#3. Pricing jobs.

Well, larger more complex ones, anyway.....

5. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I love plowing.

But customers dragging their feet on signing, wsi inc., flaky employees, breakdowns, delinquent payers, ridiculous lowballing on government work, other contractors leaving tons of money on the table, lingering snow WAY past predicted time, extreme cold temperatures, the sun coming up when I forgot my sunglasses, traffic, snow blowing onto a salted parking lot, when its snowing so hard I can't have the window open, a plow hitting a windrow in an intersection, morons who can't get understand they need.to clean along a curb, morons who plow into a handicap spot, morons who plow snow onto a sidewalk, a log sheet coming back not filled out properly, having to go back to get a signature from a store manager, when an ivr gives me attitude, morning djs, when my ipod falls on the floor, when my cell phone falls on the floor on the freeway, when it doesn't snow, when it snows more than its supposed to, when it snows less than its supposed to, when nature calls and there's no place to go. Running low on salt on a Sunday after it wasn't supposed to snow on Friday Saturday and Sunday but does, prerecorded radio weather that makes you double check noaa on the phone. When noaa doesn't update the forecast at 4am. Forgetting to turn off the strobe light. Other people driving with 10.strobe lights on. Breakdowns, stuck vehicles, flat tires, broken pull ropes on snow blowers, if/when salter controls stop.working. why haven't you been here yet? Didn't you notice there's.10inches everywhere and your lot has 3/4"? Subcontractors who are super slow. Subcontractors who are too fast and then make.you wonder what they missed. Where the garbage truck has screwed up the asphalt by a Dumpster, sewer caps that weren't like that during preseason walkthru, snow on weekends. Snow on holidays. Snow that starts at 5am..
    Other than that....

Don't mind plowing a nice open lot though.

6. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

Lol. You were just waiting for someone to ask, huh?

7. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

This site really really really needs a "like" button

8. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

X2 by far biggest/#1 headache other then that what longae29 said.

9. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Break down the sites into smaller sections then discount for no travel time or don't add time for travel however you normally would bid.

BREAKDOWNS are my #1...

10. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Thanks.... that's helpful.

I tend to overbid jobs at times as I'm tired of underbidding them. This is great because I don't get hosed, but in the same breath I have a lot more free time :nod:

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

My top ten not in order

1; Inadequate drivers in inadequate vehicles for the road conditions
    2; Drivers in inadequate vehicles for the road conditions
    3; Capable vehicles driven by incapable people
    4; Stuck Idiots that force you to stop thinking they'll get a tow out of the ditch/snowbank/drift
    5; Inadequate vehicles stuck closing the road
    6; Drivers that think speed is important to traction
    7; Prius drivers that HAVE to buy a cup of coffee and newspaper at 4 am on a snowy Sunday.
    8; non professional (a pro wouldn't do that:rolleyes:) driveway guys that push snow out on already cleared and salted roads:realmad::gunsfiring::gunsfiring:
    9; Midnight sightseers
    10; People that park in the unplowed sections of a half plowed lot

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  12. grandview

#11 waiting for people to finish having sex in the back of the parking lot so you can plow that area out.

13. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

I was starting to think basher hijacked your username, but then I saw his post.

I think you just about summed it up.

14. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Bashers post in the other thread was my inspiration

15. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Why wait? Just knock on the window and tell the guy you want to trade jobs.

16. grandview

Oh the stories I could tell you guys about this.Thumbs Up

17. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Key word being stories.

Your fantasies don't count as stories GV.

18. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Diary of a snow plower entry 113-

"So here I am plowing her hard in the back lot of a Funeral home when all of a sudden right in front of me some jerk shines his headlights in my window like I am doing something wrong. I try to ignore them and keep going to town but the jerk kept flashing his headlights on and I couldn't see what I was doing so I piled the snow right in front of his car to block the distraction."

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  19. grandview

Back in the day,it was little obvious sitting there with a big VHS camcorder pointing out the window. and filming it.

20. motoxguy

motoxguy Senior Member
    from WI

Longage29 i second wsi.