1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Streethawk question

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by abbert55, Mar 27, 2008.

1. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

Does anyone have/had a Federal Streethawk? I'm looking at a 48" on e-bay and was wondering how good this unit is. Should I buy it or another brand? It's $279.00 with 4 rotators,2 takedowns and 2 alley lights. Also has 6 flashers and center fast revolver. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanx, Al:waving:

2. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

The bars are proven and they are good. They are old these days but still do the job.

3. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

therre too big

4. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

on a police car they are

5. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

What kind of Vehicle you putting it on? If it's on a mid-full sized vehicle the 48" bars are pretty decent. Remember that they draw more amps than an LED or a Strobe but they do a pretty good job. Easy on the wiring also if you have the switches to work the different functions. $279 ish isn't to overly bad. When you install it... 14 guage wires work the best.

6. DodgeGuy

DodgeGuy Member

These bars have the nickname of Streethog, since they are big and old. Thats not to say they don't work great because they do and are very effective. Just don't expect any gains in MPG with it.

Sounds like an all light Streethawk, which are nice bars, I think you can even retrofit the lower lights with LEDs.

7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Grassbusters has one on his new cummins. Looks a bit out of place being so large but it seems to throw out plenty of light. His has survived a bird attack and seems to be still working good.

8. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

Thanks guys for all the replies. I currently have a 96 GMC 2500HD with two Star 9200H's mounted on a homemade headache rack with two 55 w halogen tractor floods. It works very well but was wanting to upgrade to a real lightbar with more lighting options.

Again, thanx

Al

9. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Have you considered a code 3 mx7000? There AWESOME! That would look a lot more "in place on your truck than a street hawk. I have a mx7000 that is all set up for plowing, just needs domes. It has lower work lights and upper rotators. I also have a swtich box for it. If you are interested let me know and I can get some pics up of it. I'd have to see what I got to have for it. It has alot of cable on it also, so getting into the cab wont be a problem.

Ryan

10. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

I'd go with the MX7000 instead of the StreetHawk any day/night... One other thing that you can do easy with an MX is to add strobes in place of a set of rotators and now your talking power! Strobes and Halogens... Our PD out here used to have that set up and you could see them from atleast 3/4 mile in bright sunshine. (and that's the blue lens)

11. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

Yeah, I would consider any good unit, let me know what you have to have for itussmileyflag

Thanx, Al

12. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Alright, I can get amber domes for it, but there going to be about 100 bucks or so. Right now there is red domes on it from it being on my dads truck for the fire dept. We upgraded his truck with a newer mx bar. It is 48'' long and has mounting feet and brackets to mount it to your truck. Would you be interested in the swtich box too or no? I will get pics up for you on sunday I am going away today in about 2 hours so I don't have time right now. But I am thinking $400.00 for it with new domes and the swtich box + shipping, Theres a good 10 feet of wiring for it too. The swtich box new is $160.00 bucks. The bar is worth about 8 or 900 new so.
    Here is the link for the swtich box.

http://www.lshlights.com/AMAZING/itemdesc.asp?CartId={D5F3417F-E26F-40CEVERESTF-93D3-8DD33A52B7EF}&ic=SW400SS&eq=&Tp=

I am thinking this.
    100 for the switch box. (i bought it as a demo from my lighting dealer.)
    200 for the lightbar
    The cost of the domes. I will include a copy of the recipt. so you know you don't get screwed.
    + Shipping. And that wouldn't be more than 40 bucks.

Ryan

Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  13. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

$400 is a D**n good deal on that bar! The Mounting feet on that bar is adjustable and can be moved to fit your truck better. The bracket if you need more room between the door frame and the bar you can go to any hardware store and get a longer bolt that would work!

14. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Hey Abbert55 I sent you a email the otherday. Just following up. Let me know if you are interested in it or not. I just got the new domes put on it last week thrusday.