1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Street Sweeping

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JRSlawn, Dec 2, 2004.

1. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

I am very interested in starting a sweeping business doing some parking lots I have no idea about this service but hope I can get some help here?

How much to charge
    When to bid
    Who to target
    How to get started
    What do I need

Please help! Love to plow and think I would enjoy sweeping!

2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

How much to charge is pretty much the same as plowing, figure out your expenses, add what you want for profit, usually charge per square foot.

What kind of machine you need depends on how large of area's you usually plan on doing as you can get anything from a small walk behind sweeper (for doing sidewalks or such) or a large municipal style street sweeper.

Breaking into the business however may not be easy alot of companies lump parking lot cleaning in with cleaning for the rest of the facility or just have employees pick up loose trash.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2004
  3. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Do you want to sweep snow ?

Or are you talking about the"street Cleaners" that sweep up the garbage in to a vacuum?

Help me out here bud, am I on the right track?

4. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

Sweep trash and things out of parking lots

5. landcare pa

landcare pa Member

power sweeping is a bad business low profit margins your lucky to get $35 to sweep a target or home depot thanks to dentco,and us maintenance and on a new sweeper that is $70,000 good luck

6. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

To be totally honest their are probably easier ways to start a company.
    But if this is something that you want to do, The way to go is cold calls. Start knocking on every door that has a parking lot. Have some nice broacher's on hand that you can leave with them.(find out what kind of market is out there). You need to find a way to make them think this will turn more profit for them. may be that is by making the store more appealing to a customer do to it's * sparkling parking* :nod: ? I don't know, just trying to help you out.
    Make sure you have costumers before you buy that rig $$

Just my $.2

Sorry about the spelling, I have a.d.d.

7. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

JRSLawns,

First is there a need in your area,
    check the phone book and see if anyone else is doing it.
    Go out at 3 to 7:am that is when most sweepers work.

If you find a need then depending on your finances you can do one of 2 things,
    1. find a cheep used sweeper,(Pelican, Mobil, / around $5000 to $10,000).
    It helps to be machanical inclined when buying used equipment and have a shop.

2. Buy a newer vacume unit like an Air Cub. I know of a like new used one in Denver area for around $55,000, or a new one for $70,000.

Machanical sweepers work great for spring cleanup or any heavy work. ware as the vacume work better for litter and lighter work.

sweeping is a real good income in some areas and others not so good.

I get more for sweeping then plowing a lot because there is more overhead and the equipment costs more. The season is longer and rain is the only thing that slows me down. We havn not got snow here yet so I am still sweeping lots. Parkinglot striping also goes along with sweeping and snow plowing.

Sand the lot, plow the lot pushing the sand around scraping up the lines, Sweep up the sand and sell it as fill, then restripe the lot. If you do landscaping you could have your hands full all year around.

If you are realy interested e-mail me with your phone number and I will call you.

Start with something like this an d build up from there.

web chinese sweeper.jpg

8. Runner

Runner Senior Member

If you go to the Schwarze website, they have some good reading on there. There are good tips on bidding along with advice on what and what not to bid. They sent me a nice package with bidding info (for different regions) along with a video and a bunch of literature on their products. They have many used and reconditioned trucks available with warranties, and offer financing and leasing options. I've been looking into this for some time, as their is a wide open market around here for it. I was looking into Tymco, but the Schwarze just look like a much nicer unit with some of their units. I must warn you though, there IS some overhead here, because there is a CONSIDERABLE amount of maintenance on these units. I've been blessed to have had the opportunity to talk to some of these people in the business, and they all pretty much tell me the same thing. There is one guy on lawnsite who gave me the invitation that if I had any questions and/or needed help with anything, he would be more than happy to help out. Here are some sites that may help you. I hope this info helps.
    www.americansweeper.com
    www.sweepersales.com
    www.americansweeper.com
    www.schwarze.com
    Also, posts like the above are the type of people I was refering to who are what goodness is all about. THIS is the type of thing that makes sites like this so wonderful. Hwe was posting at the same time I was, so I just had to edit to come back on and tell him thank you. :)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2004
  9. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Like I said call me e-mail me with a phone # if you are realy interested
    twhall@gci.net

web aircub2a.jpg