1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

street estimating

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by richwit, Sep 24, 2007.

1. richwit

richwit Junior Member

i'm looking for someone that can maybe help me with estimating this contract for plowing streets. i am trying to figure out how long it will take me to plow the streets in a development. is there some kind of formula to figure this out. i've been doing driveways by the piece for years but i am new to the streets thanks to anyone that can help me out

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Really, too ,many variables for any formulae to be useful. Obstacles, surface type, width, curbs, places to put snow, hills, curves etc all play into it. Then, of course, what type of equipment you have.

Where are you located?

3. richwit

richwit Junior Member

mick, i appreciate you getting back to me. i have a little more information i live down in jersey. we usually get 6 to 8 inch storms. 2 to 4 a year the streets in the village are 28 feet wide. the streets are in very good shape. i guess living in maine you must get alot of snow there. last year we didnt get any plowable snow. i have two plow trucks of my own and two kubota tractors. i have two other tractors and two other trucks available to me. we use the tractors to clear the driveways and the trucks for the streets. they call at 3 inches and the streets get cleared and we dont start the driveways until the storm ends. again i appreciate any imput. i've been doing driveways by the piece for about 15 years, never had to deal with the streets thanks again, rich

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Ok. since you have considerable overall experience and the equipment (especially the Kubotas), I think it may be beneficial to consider pretreating the street with salt or treated salt using a 3ph spreader. That would "burn off" quite a bit of the snow. Then come along with a plow on a truck or tractor to scrape the rest. Do you have a Urethane edge on the plow? Now, I think you'll want to offer a seasonal contract since you'll actually be doing a lot of the work by melting instead of plowing. Now, at 28' wide, I'd say figure how many miles of street there is. Assuming no unusual problems (obstacles, islands etc), I'd say use around $200/mi times the average number of occurances (snowfalls that will need addressed). But, remember to factor in such things as crossovers, islands, snow needing to be carried to a particular area etc.And it depends on the level of service expected, too.

5. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

$100mi

i dont know if it helps but i plow roads for $100 per lane mile and i do over 30 miles each storm with a gmc 5500 4x4 with a 8611 blizzard and i am comfortable with that so i kinda agree with mick

6. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

How long does 30 miles take ? Is that both lanes at 30 miles ? Thats alot of pavement.

7. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

roads

hi it all depends on the snow but he'll run through it in about 5-6 hrs it is 2 directions but the second trip he can move a little faster he can sure cover a lot of ground when the plow is 11'3"wide and you have a large heavy truck 19K pounds 4x4 we try to keep the 5500 on the roads and out of the lots but last year during the 24" thunder snow we had to have him at wal-mart to help out the smaller trucks and we moved a heavy blade (grader) to the roads now the salt price is additional and it varies on how much material we have to applie to achieve a clean surface or at least moderate traction

8. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

9. gqnine44

gqnine44 Junior Member

Thats about $500 an hour. NICE