1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strating out

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by The Duke, Feb 18, 2007.

1. The Duke

The Duke Member
    from WI

I have a '95 Wrangler with 5" of lift, 33" mud tires and a locked front axle. I would like to start sub-contracting for a landscape/plowing business. I have just started looking into this and would like some pointers on what to look for.

I will need a plow for starters. I would be looking at a starting budget of around $1,000.
    I know it's low, but consider the application. It will be going on a YJ, not a 3/4 ton truck.

A "friend" uses the same vehicle and says he makes about $1,000 per snow fall plowing maybe 10 hours or so. Is that acurate?

Thanks in advance!

2. The Duke

The Duke Member
    from WI

PS. Plow must be fully removable. Nothing that has to be welded on or is extremely difficult to remove. I wheel the Jeep extensively in summer, so this is a non-negotiable requirement.
    Thanks.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Remove the 5"
    Ditch the tires.
    Unlock the front diff.
    Is the rear diff open or locked up too?
    Your going to have to remove the winch also.

Other wise Yea! it will plow.
    Plowing puts a lot of wear on pricey off road componets.

Why would you want to plow with a trail rig?
    Ya,YA, I know it's a jeep thing.

Put the money towards a work truck/plow truck and get ready for next year.

JMO.. flame away.....:yow!:

Hey.. never mind that:rolleyes: welcome to plowsite!!

I had a yj, 4.0 Ho, with a snow-way.
    I'm looking for a jeep to build a trail rig out of got any pics of yours.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  4. The Duke

The Duke Member
    from WI

Yeah, I know. I would pick up a truck if I could make enough extra cash for that, but for starters this is what I've got.
    No, the rear is not locked....I still have the D35 in there and it won't hold up to a locker and 33's.
    I have asked around and the general consensus seems to be that plowing isn't any harder on it that a day of wheeling if some common sense is applied.

I probably won't be able to do more than get ready for next year as it is because the jeep is currently sitting on jack stands with the rear axle out for repairs.
    I'm just trying to educate myself on what it will take to start doing this.

Should have a pic of it around that I can post (BTW, how do you post pics on this board?).

Thanks for the welcome :D

5. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

Hey Duke! Welcome. I don't want to rain on your parade but I did the same thing a few years back and the best thing to do is get another truck/jeep for plowing. I ran a 77 Blazer with 7 inches, 35's, winches on both ends, Detroit Lockers into a D60 and a GM 14 bolt and a 454. What a pain in the a$$. I trailrode, dirtdrag, and mudraced this thing every weekend plus it was my daily driver. You can't steer with a locked front and a bladeful of snow. The wide tires float instead of digging in for traction. I had to lower the plow mount to get the thing to push worth a crap and yes--then I hit everything. Good luck!!

6. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

You are much better off with a different vehicle for plowing. Your requirements and restrictions are too much. A lifted jeep doesn't work well because plow mounts are meant for stock height vehicles. Your frame is sitting about 7 inches above that. (5 inch lift + 2 inch radius change) This is going to through off your plow frame angle which should be parallel to the ground. Also, you now have gearing issues compounded by plowing use. You built an off road toy, keep it as such.

7. The Duke

The Duke Member
    from WI

Ok, so it sounds like for the most part nobody thinks this is a good idea.

Well, could you give me a general idea of what kind of money I would be able to make per storm? I'm guessing that I would do around 10 hours per storm. I can't afford to do anymore because I have a full time job and other obligations.

If there is enough cash in it, I have a line on a truck with a plow already on it. I am waiting to find out the price, though.

Thanks for your help.

[​IMG]

8. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

For someone with experience, it's not uncommon to make 100-125/hour. Much of that would depend on locations of driveways, proximity to each other, and so forth. Many of us have groups of residentials kinda together. A bunch here, a bunch there.... works in our favor, instead of hitting 1 in every different neighborhood (which is how you might have to start out).

9. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

I agree with yardmedic. Start your plow customer hunting now. That way you can get a feel for how much you could make and judge how much you should spend on your truck. You could easily do 100- 125 an hour on driveeways IF they are close enough together. And Jeep guys are what made me letter up the rear cap of my Blazer- " Jeep-- It's what's for dinner " . Best of luck to ya!!!

10. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I got a question... how many of the people that are saying not to use the Jeep have ever used one? I have used F150's and Jeeps I now only use Jeep's!!! check out the jeep link further down on the home page.
    http://www.plowsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  11. The Duke

The Duke Member
    from WI

What do you guys think of this.

A 1978 J-10 with a Meyers plow already installed.
    It has a Chevy 350 in it and the body looks rust free in pics (have yet to see it in person).
    Supposedly only has 89,000 miles.

Price would be between $2,000 and $2500.

think this would be a better bet that plowing with the YJ??

12. The Duke

The Duke Member
    from WI

Oh yeah, so what would you guys recommend. Advertising and finding my own customers or sub contracting for a larger landscaping biz??

Like the idea of being on my own, but should something happen to the truck or jeep(whichever I end up using) then I have full responsability for getting (or not) my customers plowed. If I sub and break down, then they just have to find another sub, right?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm new to this as you can tell.
    :confused: :help: :eek:

13. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

With a full time job you never know when it is going to snow.You have a friend that can run back up in case it snows and you have to go to work?If not I would be a sub.

RCGM
    Brad

14. The Duke

The Duke Member
    from WI

I don't really have a backup who would be available when I'm not. What do I do, just call local landscapers and ask if they need a sub?
    How exactly does it work? Do I just do it when they need an extra hand or would I be "guaranteed" a certain customer base?

Thanks alot guys!

PS. What do you think about the trucks options posted above??

15. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I've never worked for another contractor, so I can't speak for the guys who do. It is extremely nerve wracking planning for problems with a single truck. You're right -- one person & one truck handling account, works great when truck is working, but what if it isn't? In 14 years I've had 1 minor breakdown (haha, with the truck and mental!) that kept me from finishing one of my commercial accounts. I had another contractor finish up the lot. Fortunately all it was was a broken plow hose, and I didn't know the plow shop was offering 24 hour service. Full time work is a big concern for some too. I have a full-time job besides my full-time landscaping, and it's tough sometimes getting days off. Fortunately I've also worked enough swaps with people that I have time owed to me, and I have personal days to use as needed.

Working for a contractor might be a good almost guarantee of work, and I might expect they could give you the same route knowing you'd master it & be able to do more with time.

~Kevin

16. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

Plowmeister you missed the entire point of this thread!!!:) We aren't ragging on Jeeps!! We're saying HIS Jeep the way it's set up isn't gonna do real well for him. Jeeps are fine. Trailriding Jeeps used to plow snow are not unless you want to make them untrailready ( if that's a word):) :) Iv'e plowing with a trailriding truck before and it sucks--have you?? As far as subbing goes You can stop by and talk to landscape companies. Just make sure you get something well defined in writing as to how and when you will get paid. The other thing is subbing is no different then having your own accounts in my opinion. If your machine is broke when the snow flies you can bet the guy your subbing to will drop you like a hot potatoe just like if you let your own customers down.

17. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Hi BOSS550 No I did not miss the point:) I may be a Little touchy on jeeps, I see a llot of posts from people saying jeeps are not heavy enough, and you need 2500 or 3500 TRUCK to plow:yow!: !! I have been plowing with my trail Jeeps for 18 years. I currently have a 2000 TJ with a 4 1/2 lift, ARBs and 33" tires. with 4:56 gears (the gears are the important thing) check it out at WWW.seetheusabyjeep.com To plow I take the winch off put on a fisher 7 1/2 RD plow, I put air shocks in the front, 500# in the back, 31" Blizak tires. I use it more off road than plowing but plowing pays for it. I make NO compromise on the plowing setup. For driveways its hard to beet. (I don't know why anyone would want to do parking lots):dizzy:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  18. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

Hey Plowmeister! Sounds like you got a good setup and it works well for you! I agree with you on the weight it's more important to match the blade to the truck and have the weight in the right places than anything else. I have the impression that The Duke is looking to pull up and attach his plow instead of doing the removal and additions you do to get your ride ready for snow. I think that's the major reason myself and others are reccomending THe Duke looks for a plow truck. Happy plowing guyspurplebou looks like another one is gonna show up on the east coast tomorow!

19. green frog

green frog Senior Member

I have a 2000 cherokee sport with 6inches of lift and 32x11.5 bfg at"s. I have plowed 5 seasons and its awesome. I have a western lsx plow. It is 7 feet 2 inches. I had to put air bags in the front springs because I did not want to kill the front suspension. I would look at the western or the blizzard 7 foot. Don't go with a 6 1/2 foot you won't be happy.