1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strap instead of cable on a winch?

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by Flingit1200s, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Flingit1200s

Flingit1200s Junior Member

Those of you who use a strap instead of a steel cable or synthetic rope, what kind of strap did you use and how did you attach it to the spool?

John

2. Carlo

Carlo Junior Member

next year I am going to buy a plow winch actuator (I think thats what is called) it's a minny winch that mounts on top of your cargo rack so it leavs the main winch free to be used as a winch. I think that comes with some sort of nylon rope for it. Here is a link to the one I'm going to buy

http://www.gowarn.com/prodDetail.aspx?partNo=WAR67650

3. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

Seriously! Talk to ALCGREG before purchasing this attachment.:waving::waving:

4. Carlo

Carlo Junior Member

Cool, I will keep that in mind

5. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

Sky,

pardon but I think its you talk to ALCGREG about the Warn Power Pivot system.
    not to Hjack thread but
    Sky,

here a Pic of my dual Acutator set up I'm running.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

running both cause last year I smoked a curb and blew the first 1 I had. I sent that one in for repair and got the 2nd. and they Fixed it broken 1 but it dosn't retract very well on it's own but has holding power yet so I just fab it up to the other side of my Plow.

enjoy sublime out.

6. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

Hey Lime! How is that spelled?? Warn out?? lol:laughing::laughing:

7. Mnflyboy

Mnflyboy Junior Member

I use a strap. Went to Northern Hydraulics and bought a 20' hand winch strap...loop on one end and a hook on the other. Then I cut the strap in half so I got 2 for the price of one!!! Anyways, I used the loop end and put my own quick disconnect on it to hook on the plow. To attach, I just pulled the cable off the winch and used that good ol duct tape and taped the end of the strap to the winch spool. Just wind the strap up tight and it'll hold itself....as long as you don't pull the strap out to the end. I just use about 3 or 4' of the 10' with my snowplow and it still looks as new as the day I installed it this fall.

Jaye(Mn)

8. sublime68charge

nope wrong again, its

WARN #$%#$%#%#$%#$ locking Key's fell the #$@#%$@$@# out again and are lost in the $@#$%$@$ snow and spent @#$@#$@# hours looking for @#$@#$ @#$ locking Keys and ordered @#$@# $ replacements and there @#$@#$ 2 weeks back ordered and when they did show up @#$@#$ didn't fit.

Warn Power Pivot according to ALCGREG, I'm not suppose to pick on him either about it
    but things around here been pretty quiet as of late.

had 2" of snow to plow today and the Plow did fine. with the dual actuators' though 2" is not much of a test of things.

sublime out.

9. sublime68charge

that's good advice right there also, If you go this route check your roller fairlead for bur's made by the steel cable and if you have bur's or edges showing file them smooth or put on a different roller so that you dont chew up the strap.

sublime out.

10. bigc1301

bigc1301 Senior Member

I use a strap. Went to Northern Hydraulics and bought a 20' hand winch strap...loop on one end and a hook on the other. Then I cut the strap in half so I got 2 for the price of one!!! Anyways, I used the loop end and put my own quick disconnect on it to hook on the plow. To attach, I just pulled the cable off the winch and used that good ol duct tape and taped the end of the strap to the winch spool. Just wind the strap up tight and it'll hold itself....as long as you don't pull the strap out to the end. I just use about 3 or 4' of the 10' with my snowplow and it still looks as new as the day I installed it this fall.

Did the same thing works great so far

11. hansons glc

hansons glc Member
    from mn

running both cause last year I smoked a curb and blew the first 1 I had. I sent that one in for repair and got the 2nd. and they Fixed it broken 1 but it dosn't retract very well on it's own but has holding power yet so I just fab it up to the other side of my Plow.

that is why i will not run that set up

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  12. noooooo

noooooo Member

Fling it, I have a Pure Polaris setup just like what you are talking about new in the box I'll sell you for $100 which is a little less than what I have in it. I bought it to make a power angle set up and went with something prebuilt. I live in Kansas City.

13. noooooo

noooooo Member

Disregard. It was Carlo not Fling it who wanted the winch mounted on the blade. Little too far to meet up with.

14. Flingit1200s

Flingit1200s Junior Member

Thanks for the replys. What is the width and strength of the strap? We don't have Northern Hydraulics here in Wichita KS. I do have a bunch of ratchet straps for securing the atv in the bed of my truck..........

15. sublime68charge

the smoking the curb was driver error on my part if I wasn't trying to hurry along I would not have clipped the curb at the speed I did and blew out the ram. Also if I had left the lower grade bolt in at the end of the Ram and not went to a grade 8 and welded up a lower support bracket to reenforce that end of things. The bolt would have sheared off and saved my acuator from the damage it took upon impact.

It is not a perfect system for sure, but for the price of it VS the $800 Moose wants for there power angle system that just came out this year I'll live with the limits of what this can due and try not to overload the actuators.

other than the first Month when I was on the learning curve it has been fine.

sublime out.

16. bigc1301

bigc1301 Senior Member

what does eveyone think about using the single acuator? Thingking about doing that to mine. Need some input first. Also i use a 2"x 10' i think it is 3000lbs. got it at TSC. It is for a boat trailer

17. hansons glc

hansons glc Member
    from mn

Sublime i like that you have two but there are some guys on here act like kno it alls. I don't like that. The only reson i posted that is becuse some say it is great and is realy heavy duty i have employes runing my atv and if it will break the will break it. Have a good one
    if the hydro moos eset up had hydro lift toit would be worth the $800

ps there are guys that say run a old 2" strap cut to size then put it on the spoil. I run a rop on my atv as a back up if the hydros quiit working still working out the bugs

18. sublime68charge

I hope I'm not one of those in the know it all class cause I sure dont. I just try to give good helpful advice.

I guess when I'm using this I keep in mind that if I break it I'm the one who has to fix it and shell out the $$$ for it and due with out power angle for the rest of the storm.

I have a vested interest in keeping it going and working correctly.

sublime out.

19. hansons glc

hansons glc Member
    from mn

sublime i don't see you as one of the "know it alls" this mainly why i dont post much
    i like the two ram set up that u made. both will help hold the blade and work together. how much do you have in parts? if you don't mind me asking

20. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

Easy now. The Power Pivot after making some changes, works very well now. :D