1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strange Wiring Harness relays?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by whitelightning, Nov 27, 2012.

1. whitelightning

whitelightning Junior Member

I picked up a used Boss 8'2" V plow for my '07 Ram diesel. Guy used it for his personal driveway only and it was in excellent condidtion. It came off of his '07 Ram gasser. He had it installed and uninstalled by a local Boss dealer in his area (2 hours from me). When doing the install I noticed that the wiring harness did not match the Boss installation diagram as the harness had 2 extra (one for drivers side and one for passenger side), 2 relay packs, installed with headlight adaptors on them. One of the relays in the driver side pack was tied into the harness. All of the other relays were not tied into the Boss harness and had seperate power and ground wires.

Since I was thouroughly confused at this point I decided to run the truck to my Boss dealer for an opinion. They had never seen anything like it before and confirmed by plan of using the headlight plugs on the factor harness to hook up to the headlights. The dealer suggested eliminating all of the extra relays except for the one that was tied into the harness as it was for the turnsignals. I hooked using all of the factory wiring without using the extra relays and everything works perfect. Now I have an extra dual relay pack as a spare and an extra relay as a spare next to the turnsignal relay.

Any ideas on how or why the wiring could have been this way on the previous truck? My plan for the extra dual relay pack is to wire them for the dual burn of low and high beam plow lights.

2. RRSS

RRSS Junior Member

If I recall right when I did a install on my 06 ram I needed the headlight adapters and they each had a relay with them. So in all I had 6 relays on that truck. I then traded for a 05 ( i know I traded down a year...but it had way less miles) and with that one I was able to completely eliminate the adapters and relays.

3. RRSS

RRSS Junior Member

I said that wrong in my previous post. The two extra relays should be for your turn signals. I guess as long as you took it to a boss dealer and they said it should work that way you should be good to go. I also need to install the dual burn relay. I have a new vxt plow but havent gotten to that yet. Best of luck.