1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strange VBox/Truck..Educate Me Please

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by thelettuceman, Dec 26, 2010.

1. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I saw an Izusu Tilt Forward Cab with Dual Wheels. A VBox was bolted directly to the frame. No bed in the back. What's up with that?
  2. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

you can buy them as a box truck for pretty cheap. guy may have done that and then took the box off and just made it a dedicated salt truck.
  3. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

It also minimizes the truck weight, giving a larger carrying capacity (both actual and for legality reasons.) Quite common to see trucks like that here anywhere from 3/4 tons to tandem trucks.
  4. bob coco

bob coco Member

They are great trucks but I wouldn't want to run it without a loaded sand box. I have a GMC 4500 (rebadged Isuzu) with a very heavy Utility body full of tools and I can't keep enough weight in it. It's only been driven in snow once. It would probably be better with traction tires on it. Those 19.5's are like marbles on a cement slab. Great fair weather truck.
  5. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

sounds like a lime truck.
  6. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

7. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Called a 'frame mounted' salt spreader unit or in other words dedicated salt truck.
  8. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

yup if he has a bed for it too, he might just swap out the salter and the bed come winter/spring time. Reduces the salt and corossion of the bed making it last a little longer not being exposed to salt all winter long. And as the others said put a bigger salter on, better visability, and more salt capacity.
  9. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Needs to be a little longer, though.

10. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Eh? ............
  11. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

This truck...

...is clearly not long enough.

12. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

WestHardt. imagine the power unit for a blower you could mount behind the cab on that bad boy...... Would be like one of those MONSTERS the airports use.
  13. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

But to the OPs point, the idea is pretty common. We bought one this year, late 80s chevy(other than 2 internationals our entire fleet besides this beast is Ford, 52 Fords, 2 Inters and a Friggin Chevy........OUCH... Boss saw the truck wasn't a total rat and decided we'd use it, I was against it. but it's been Ok so far. We bought it for the salter, and it was direct mount. We looked over the truck, very clean, swapped in a true dually rear from a one ton chevy box truck and we're good. Handle weight nicely, though it is too heavy for the leagl GVW. We use it as a site vehicle on an 17 acre site so no leagality issues there. I like how there's essentially 0 body roll, center of gravity is much lower than a v box mounted in the back of a dump. This is one of three dedicated salt trucks we own, one is a spare on a 16 ft grain body(back up rarely used), one is this chevy and one is an under tailgate Swenson Electric unit, I like them, especially the under tailgate....HUGE capacity=less trips back to the yard. Our other 5 salters are dual purpose with plows mounted up.I think the whole idea of dedicated salters is pretty good, especially in certain instances like ours for example. But generally I prefer dual purpose trucks, especially on spread out routes, I hate being on a salt run and having to call someone else ot run back to the yard to grab a plow truck in order to do a little scrape here and there or tuck in a corner that got missed.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  14. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

Our salter trucks plow 1 or 2 lots then its just salting for them the rest of the trucks handle the plowing unless its a big storm. I like the idea of a salt only truck, but I feel every truck that goes out in a storm whether it actually plows or not, should have a snow plow on it. That way you can scrap things up when needed and not have to wait. It doesnt hurt the truck. On the big dumps you dont need a massive plow you can get a western 10' straight blade or something. Just to be able to handle those few times when the plow is needed.
  15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What they said....
  16. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Put a Sleeper Behind The Cab....That way you never have to go Home....:drinkup:
  17. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

That would be nice some nites lol
  18. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Our salt trucks have been frame mount since 2000. Visibiity, weight savings and cost are the reason why we do it. I have pics in my album in my user cp.
  19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Matson is used to hearing that. :laughing:
  20. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

:laughing:....Its not the size of the "V" Box......Its how you use it....:salute: