1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strange tranny problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Machu10, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Machu10

Machu10 Junior Member
    from iowa

Hi all,

I got a 92 s-10 that has a 700r4 and a 4.3,
    the tranny shifts fine, good solid shifts, no noise at all as long as the shifter
    is in OD, but when taking off in any other gear (1,2,3) it makes a grinding squealing sound,
    kind like something is rubbing on the driveshaft or something, perhaps the linkage is holding it between gears?

In reverse or OD the trans is fine, like I said, She acts perfect,
    Took it to two different shops and they were stuck, anyway they want to tear it apart to check it and telling me its probably gonna need a rebuild, and of course its gonna be expensive, But for me thats kinda hard to believe because it acts so perfectly in OD,
    I'm stumped! :confused:
    anybody have any ideas?

2. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

Inside the tranny the linkage shaft hooks up to a valve that slides in and out of the valve body. Its possible that valve may either have gunk built up on it or the little wire 'S' that connects the valve to the outside linkage shaft is bent slightly. That could cause it to possibly be stuck between gears. I think the sound you are hearing might be the band rubbing against the drum which is not a good thing. Personally I think until you have the time and money to have this truck tied up you should avoid 1,2,3 and stay in OD, R and Park only. The best way to deal with it is a rebuild since you have to go so far into it to get to the band anyhow.

3. Machu10

Machu10 Junior Member
    from iowa

Thanks Russ,

I dumped half a bottle of lucas in the tranny, thinking it might be a sticky valve, I don't normally use any kind of additives, especially to a tranny, But I ran it about 150 miles around town, stop and go driving, and tried to start out in 3rd again...And there was no noise at all, tried taking off in all gears and its just fine now?
    It only made that noise about three times total, so maybe I didn't do any damage?
    I had the fluid and filter changed yesterday and it was nice and clean with no shavings,
    so hopefully I wont have any other trouble with her,

Again Thanks for the advice,