1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strange starting

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bluelinehyway, Aug 5, 2003.

1. bluelinehyway

bluelinehyway Junior Member
    from ohio

I have a 1996 Chevy 3500 HD with a 7.4 engine. Last week after towing a trailer, I tried to restart the vehicle and got no response when the ignition key was turned. Checked the fuses and ignition relay under the hood, and all seemed fine. The truck sat about 20 minutes, and when I retried it, started right up. It acts if there is no power getting to the starter. No clicking, no engine turning, just nothing. Battery seems OK as all other electrical works fine.
    Anyone got any ideas about this seemingly intermittant problem?

2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

My bet would be that the starter solenoid is going west. The usual progresion is that the problem will get worse until it leaves you dead in the water. Options are to pull the starter and replace the solenoid or throw a rebuilt starter at it. You may find that there is very little difference in price between a solenoid and a rebuilt starter. I just went through this on my K3500 and it was under $15 difference to replace the whole unit.

3. bluelinehyway

from ohio

Thanks for the quick response. I initially thought that the solenoid might be the problem, but I'm getting no sound from the starter (my past experience with a bad solenoid got a clicking sound). When it first occured, I thought I left the trans in gear, not park, as it has the "no response" characteristics of starting in gear. All interior dash lights and electrical options work as normal. Should I look again at the solenoid?

4. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Get somebody to hold hte key to the start position while you slither underneath with something to rap on the solemoid. You're right, solenoids usually click but don't trigger starter current, I missed that in your first post.

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Not sure when they started,but does your truck has the PassKey system ? . If it does,it will have a little tiny pellet embedded in the ign key.It will sometimes get dirty,and the system will shut down the starter.Clean the key,and see if that helps.

6. goalie dad

goalie dad Junior Member

I had the same problem with my wifes 1996 lumina it was a bad ign switch and it wasn't reading the chip on the key

7. bluelinehyway

from ohio

Thanks for all the help. With the weekend coming up, I'm going to try all the suggestions. Will let you guys know what works.