1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

strange request for bid

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mick, Aug 13, 2001.

1. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I was wondering if anyone else ever got strange requests like this one. A business owner of a placement agency recently moved into a building where he is the sole occupant, so he is now responsible for grounds maintenance. It was a bank building with a single "teller" lane on one side and 3,400 sq ft parking lot on the second side. Other two sides are streets. He’s asked me to submit a bid for snow plowing. BUT - he only wants it plowed if it "really needs it". Then he only wants me to plow half of the lot. He’ll do the other half. We didn’t get into how we’d divide the lot into halves. Doesn’t want any ice melting material and he’ll do the sidewalks. All this is to save money so that tells you what "really needs it" means. This guy is a lawyer who’s wife is rich. He owns the placement agency for something to do. A grounds maint co offered to take care of his bushes for $50/mo. He thought that was too much so he has the employees pull weeds from them. I’ve told him that I won’t be submitting any bid and won’t respond if he calls after October 1st - my route should be set up be then.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2001
  2. IMHO, Sounds like you are dealing with a snake in the grass here...I would be sure to notify him by registered mail of your reply as a slip and fall suit would be easy to push off on you if he claims he contracted you by word of mouth. That may sound iffy at best (on his part) but if he is that frugal. (being nice here) the law suit costs him nothing, he is an attorney. I go near this one!

3. Meant to say wouldn't go near it. I've got to start proof reading!

4. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

"I’ve told him that I won’t be submitting any bid and won’t respond if he calls after October 1st - my route should be set up be then."

I think I missed something here. If you are not submitting a bid for the job (meaning not going to provide service there), then it doesn't matter if & when he might call, you're not doing that job. If you are considering it, like RJC said, my advice would be to run, not walk, from that type of account. Just this post alone is a headache already, and I would bet its only going to get worse with him. There has to be a better account to replace the potential (or lack there-of LOL) of this one.

5. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

This definitely sounds like one to stay f-a-r away from.

Reading your initial post, and then re-reading a couple times, it starts to sound more & more like a "setup"!

Probably just paranoid tendencies surfacing, but I'm 100% sure there's a better account(s) to take the place of this one........

6. Mick

from Maine

What I meant was that if he decides sometime down the road to let me plow it like it show be and waits till after October, then it would be too late. I expect that I’ll have my route set up by that time. What he intends to do is wait until just about the first snow or even after before he gets someone lined up. But reading the thoughts of everyone on here and the more I think about it, I won’t take it regardless. I do have a little inside information as my daughter works for him. She said he even takes the office garbage back to his home in MA or CT or where ever he’s from so he doesn’t have to pay for service here. He’d asked her to take it with her and she refused. What’s kind of funny is that for the business itself, he’s pretty generous. She’s paid good wages for the industry.

7. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I would not touch it.An if I did I would write something up to the effect that makes you not liable for anything and have him sign it and have it noterized.then also give a discription of the job to be done and how much snow will be down when you plow it. But in a nut shell don't do it unless you go to a layers office.

8. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Stay Away.

Geoff

9. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Danger!!!! Danger !!!! Danger Will Robinson!!!

RUN, RUN AS FAST AND AS FAR AS YOU CAN FROM THIS ACCOUNT!!!!!!

This Guy is an accident and lawsuit just waiting to nail your butt to the wall!

I think I know how his wife attained her wealth !!!!! Think about it!!! Isn't she an attorney!

Stay Away from it!!!!

:confused: :confused: It should be a No Brainer !!!!!

JCurtis

10. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Mick, I have to agree with everybody, this is a lawsuit waiting to happen, ( the guys a lawyer!!!). However you did ask for the strangest bid, or contract story, here is mine. I had an apartment manger ask me in Febuary of 93 if I could do something on the price of this current contract. When I asked him why he thought I should lower my price at this point in the year he replied (looking at the huge piles from storm's past) " you don't have to push it as far !" he didn't appreciate it much as I drove away laughing so hard I almost crashed :) .

11. Mick

from Maine

Thanks, everybody. He's going to have to find somebody hungrier than me. JD, that's what I was after. When that came up this weekend, I started wondering what others had run into.

12. Taconic

Taconic PlowSite.com Veteran

Mick,Like the majority here keep looking.The only thing an account like that is good for is trouble.If you have nothing signed with the account and have told them you are not interested then your fine move on and look else where.

13. Leroy

Leroy Junior Member

Mick,

You made the right decision as everyone else here has said. My personal experience in the trades and as a landscaper is never do work for an attorney unless you know him very well. To many of these schills use the law to welch on contracts. They know that the average contract is not worth you paying the attorney's fees to go to court and even if you do the standard rule of thumb on a bad debt is 50 cents on the dollar. Avoid any attorney as a customer unless you know him and his business reputation well.