1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strange Power Issues

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by CityGuy, Feb 23, 2011.

1. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Ok guys I am going to throw this out to you for advice as I am at a loss on it.
    08 Chevy Crew 2500 LT 6.0
    Single Battery and no plow on the truck anymore.
    The last 2 weeks or so my battery gage has been playing with me. 1 day it is showing a charge of say 10 or so and the next day it shows 14. There is no rhyme nor reason to it. It is as though it has a mind of its own. It does it both in the cold weather as well as the warmer temps we have had. On the days it is at 14 I have tried turning on the radio and heater on high and everything else I could that was electrical and it maintains at 14. It does the same when charging at 10. It does stay the same even when driving the truck on the road to increase alt speed. I have checked the battery with my volt meter, shows 12.4. I had the alt checked by the mech at work and he says it is good. (He is puzzled with this too). Anyone got any ideas on what else to look at? I hat to throw money at items without reasonable doubt they are failing.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe a bad cell going in the battery
  3. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Would the battery still show "being good" on the volt meter if the cell is going? I was once told that if the cell is going that the volt meter would show less volts if that were to be the case.
  4. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

check to see if you have a voltage drop between the battery and the battery cable junction block
  5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Voltage doesn't indicate battery condition very well, you could have a bad battery and still show 12v. You've got to test it/have it tested based on amps, not volts, drawn through the battery. Free at autozone type places usually
  6. dale345

dale345 Junior Member
    from pa

It's the stepper motor in the cluster. Mine did the same thing.
  7. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Well I may be oversimplifying, but if the gauge in the dash says 10V and you measure it out at the same time as 12.4, I'm going to guess its a bad gauge.
  8. marylandbigb

marylandbigb Member

first off does it have the snow plow prep package?? if not GM used what they call a battery saver and it only charges when necessary so no rhyme or reason when the guage will be up or down... if you have snow plow prep it does bot use this.. also on the firewall passenger side there is a 175amp maxi fuse covered over with a black plastic lid remove the lid and check for looseness and corrosion at the nuts.. this is a common problem in these trucks
  9. Ozark Hillbilly

Ozark Hillbilly Member
    from Misery

I agree with mayhem that the dash voltmeter should match your multimeter. You probably have either a bad gauge or bad connections to it.