1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strange ocurance...or not!

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by MOWBIZZ, Mar 28, 2008.

1. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Just went to hook up my 29 series today for a 3" snowfall...last time I used it was about a month ago and it's been sitting in it's storage position for that duration. Well, the pins ended up being to low to drive in to...when I dismounted it it was fine...disengaged the locking pins, hit the up button and it did it's thing. Now a few days after I last used the plow, I brought my F250 in for a couple of things and while at the Ford dealer, they found my ball joints out of spec. Upper and lower on both sides were replaced and I went on my happy way to Florida. for a 10 day vacation...well back to the present where my sub frame now seems higher than before. Is it possible the new ball joints have raised my front end a bit? Or could the plow have "settled" somehow over that month? The difference was not that much...about an inch or so I'd say...but enough that I had to lift the plow by hand onto the sub frame...for now I just put a peice of plywood under the support stand to keep the pins above the subframe part that accepts them...anyone ever experience anything like this?
    By the way the plow performed normally while plowing today.

2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

If the plow is on soft ground than yes it can settle. Also, if you are driving on snow your truck will be higher. Maybe the ball joints made a difference. Can't you just tilt the light frame forward, thus making the pins higher so you can drive the truck in? Maybe my 25 series is different than the newer ones.

3. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

I would agree that if the ground has begun to soften in your area that the plow settled a little over the period of time that you did not use it.

With the plywood under the stand do things line up for you now?

4. KINNCO

KINNCO Senior Member

Just from my past racing experience, new uppers and lowers will raise the the ride height some. The dealership could have made some suspension adjustments as well to assure proper alignment.

5. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Hi and thanks for the reply...plow is on a paved drive...Frame all the way forward and still too low...

6. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

As stated above it's on a paved driveway...and yes the plywood will work for now...thanks for your reply!

7. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Bingo..this is what I think the problem is...the truck even "feels" like it sits a bit higher and the front end is nice and tight and tracks beautifully...
    I will take some measurements when it warms up a bit and probably lower the sub frame on the truck down to the next set of mounting holes...not a problem but it had me flustered for a while when it wouldn't line up! Thanks for the replies guys...ussmileyflag