1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strange note from a customer.

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by HALH VT, Apr 7, 2007.

1. HALH VT

HALH VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

I received a check from one of my customers today, and this note was included with it:

"Could you please NOT allow what we owe you to accrue so much in the future? Thank you."

WTF I didn't think it was my job to keep track of her bills unless they were getting out of hand. I bill monthly, due on receipt, and overdue after 30 days. The check she sent me was for February and March, February was not overdue and she could have held the March bill until May without going overdue on it, if she had a cash flow problem. I think that she probably lost the original February bill and forgot all about it until she got the reminder with the March bill. I also suppose that either I or the post office could have lost the February bill, I am going to call her tomorrow and see if she knows what happened, and I will offer her 15 day, or per storm billing, if she wants.
  2. dakotasrock

dakotasrock Senior Member
    from MN

Yea it could be the post office. But if i were u, i wouldnt offer the 15 day thing. Thats more time on your part for no more money.
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I wouldn't try to do any complicated explaining or adjusting your billing procedures. Just tell her that you send out bills at the end of the month and it's not your fault how many times it snows. If she wants to pay you after every snowfall or weekly, that's up to her and you will give her credit on her monthly bill. If you start adjusting your procedures for one, you'll wind up with as many methods as you have customers.
  4. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

Just bill her after every event. It has worked quite well for us considering we usually only get snows once a month. This year has been unique in that we got a 3 or 4 a month for a couple months.
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Billing after every event in Vermont could get expensive.
  6. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I bill after each event so they know exactly what their balance is and their is no confusion. I give 60 days from billing date to pay, however, next year I am going to do C.O.D. for one-time plow customers. F that billing stuff for them!;)
  7. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

You can't control how much it is going to snow. What if it snowed every day all winter long, then you're actually losing money. I've seen monthly billing go both ways & one way or another somebody ended up unhappy.
  8. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Billing monthly is the maximum I can justify spending on customers (for billing). Rebilling for past due shouldn't cost me anything, and it is subequently charged to the customer. Should someone need weekly billing or billing per event, I personally wouldn't do it but would certainly charge more for that courtesy. I'm sure everyone here has begun to understand that people never cease to amaze us in their ways of thinking! I disagree with the general business theory that says the customer is always right; to the contrary, I find that when the customer is incorrect in knowledge or assumption, it is my obligation to educate him in as nice/professional manner possible.