1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strange noise

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by eamims, Dec 26, 2002.

1. eamims

eamims Junior Member

OK, I have a small crackling noise coming from the dash when I get moving (say above 30 mph). It sounds like tiny plastic gears with sand stuck in them. It's hard to pinpoint it because it only happens at speed, but it seems to come from the odometer area of the dash. There seems to be no relation to engine vibration, because it doesn't do it when it's not moving. Any ideas?

thanks!

eric
    '77 bonanza 350

2. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Snow being sucked into the blower motor?

3. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Possibly a bad speedometer cable?? Mike

4. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Good thought. Possibly the speedo cable conduit wearing out from rubing up against something.

Does the spedo flutter a bit higher speeds?

5. eamims

eamims Junior Member

Yea, I noticed it jump around 60 the other day. The speedo fluttered a bit (maybe 5-10 mph), but I haven't noticed anything repetitive with it and can't reproduce it. But, yes, it occasionally jumps. How can I check and/or correct such a thing?

thanks

6. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Chuck :help: ?

7. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Yes, it is most likely the speedo cable. The cable stops spinning, and the gear in the T case keeps spinning, thus, the grinding noise. The cable "telegraphs" the noise up to the instrument panel. I think a new cable is about $50 (last time I bought one). You should also check the gear in the T case, to see if it is damaged.

Inspect the speedo cable, they typically run exhaust systems too close to the cable, which results in the cable sheath melting. It just gets worse and worse once the sheath is exposing the cable inside. When replacing the cable, it is easier to attach the end to the instrument cluster first, then to the t case. It is not an easy job the other way......

~Chuck

8. eamims

eamims Junior Member

Where could a buy a speedo cable for a 1977 c-10? I checked the obvious sources (LMC, JCW, Classic Ind) and none had one. Where to check?

~~Eric

9. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

I did a quick search for one on www.autozone.com:
    PIONEER SPEEDOMETER CABLE for a 1977 CHEVROLET TRUCK C10 1/2 TON P/U 2WD

Unit Price: $9.97

10. eamims

eamims Junior Member

thanks for the quick reply. I'll check it out!

11. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Got Grass is right on. Any local auto parts store should be able to get it for you. Be careful of AutoZone. In my experience, their parts are the cheapest they can find, and not the best quality.

~Chuck