1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strange Noise when actuating Plow?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by peterk800xc, Jan 29, 2014.

1. peterk800xc

peterk800xc Senior Member

My Boss straight blade with the joystick just started making a strange noise like a squealing when you operate the plow. Sometimes it does it when lifting or sometimes when angling. It sounds like a fanbelt squel but I know there is no belt on the plow. I thought maybe it was low on fluid but it was not. Anyone have an idea of what this squealing could be.Maybe a fluid bypass?? Thanks in advance.

2. stonewellmark

stonewellmark Member

Possibly a loose/worn alternator belt. Could also be the alternator crapping out (bearings) when put under load. Good luck.

Mark

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Try and lift it with the truck not running to see if it makes the same noise.

4. peterk800xc

Thanks!

Grandview- thanks for the reply. It quit making noise altogether when the temps went up. I changed the fluids in the Fall so no idea of what was making this noise. It never faltered all this long Winter so I think the below temperatures may have something to do with it.Just out of curiousity where do you go around your for BOSS parts/Service? Casullos? If so how are they to deal with before and after the Sale? I am thinking of upgrading next season. Thanks and have a great Summer.:mechanic:

5. grandview

Skip them and go right to General Welding,they supply all the Boss dealers in the area.

6. peterk800xc

Thanks again. I will check out General Welding on my way to my Camp.Do they sell and install to individuals or just to Dealers?

7. grandview

Both, that's where I bought mine and take for service every year.

8. speedy1wrc

speedy1wrc Senior Member

They are the local Boss dealer but also carry most everything for most brands. Fluids, lights, springs, etc...

9. peterk800xc

thanks again

Thanks for the info.Appreciate it.

10. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I had one do that, it was a bearing or bushing inside the powerpack. Sometimes it would squeal, sometimes it wouldn't.

11. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

had a woman like that. Sometimes she would squeal and sometimes not. Couldn't shovel snow worth a damm

12. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

agreed, general welding is a good place to buy and service with. The guys there are nice too. probably buying myself a new 9'2" dxt from them at the beginning of the next plow season.

13. peterk800xc

Thanks Guys!

Thanks for the help on this but seems the temperatures went up, this noise dissapeared. Looks like this Winter is history so hope everyone has a good Summer.ussmileyflagussmileyflagtymusic

14. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Mine went away in the better weather too. Guess what, it returned the following season. Take it apart thru the summer... ;)

15. obj1

obj1 Junior Member

Seen this often. cylinder seal materal is plugging inlet screens in both resivoir and also screens around valves. remove a few coils/valves and check for the black goo. it will suck so hard the screens are pulled into valve. you need to replace cylinders and completely flush out system. I have seen this a lot. they have a loud squeal when this happens.