1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Strange- No lights, no movement Ultra Mount

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Rides1000, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Rides1000

Rides1000 Junior Member

Scratching my head and wonder if anyone else has had this happen...The plow has been working fine. I pull into it and plug it in...the headlights switch over and the control light on the controller comes on, and im good to go..But recently the last time i hooked the Ultra Mount up i got no headlights on the plow or controller..complete;y dead. truck lights were still on..just acts like im not even plugging the plow in...i switched the solenoid and nothing changed, then all of a sudden i noticed the headlights switched over to the plow lights and the controller was on too...Everything came to life and i went on my way...So last night i go to hook it up again and nothing again...same thing. Cant be the solenoid...I looked at grounds, plugs, cleaned the contacts on plugs, checked for damaged wires and burnt fuses...nothing seemed out of the ordinary. All i can think is that its the isolator Module taking a ****....? Anyone got any thoughts. Thanks!
  2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

bad connection somewhere. look at the grill plugs first. the control wont power up if the plow is not connected, so the control doesn't see the plow. hook it up and move the plugs back and forth and up and down.

its not the module. very rarely do they go bad.
  3. huskerfan523

huskerfan523 Member

4. Rides1000

Rides1000 Junior Member

Thanks Guys! I assumed its a loose wire somewhere by the way it acting. I wasnt sure if it could be the isolator mod. Thank you for chiming in. I havent had time to double check the grounds but did plug and unplug the connections at the bumper numerous times. They were clean too. Ill reply if i find anything to help future searchers.
  5. banonea

banonea PlowSite Fanatic

I had the same problem with my ultra mount. Replace the plugs on the truck and plow side. dont wast the money on the western replacments. go to a large truck repair center and get the good metel conectors. half the price and twice the life. all it takes is a little wiring and you are good to go
  6. Rides1000

Rides1000 Junior Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I hooked up the plow and high chained the blade and went for a drive and about 10 minutes later i look down and the control light was on and everything was working. Must be the plugs? i checked ground and power all the way to the isolation modular and everything looked fine...
  7. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Clean the grill plugs again..Use pliers, and gently on the female plug squeeze the rubber were the females plugs just a little..This will close them up a little, that way when you mate them, it will be a little snug, making better contact..Make sure you put some dielectric grease on the connectors

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

yeah do what NOLEAD AND TWINNMAN say go and get your self a can of BreakClean and a small wire brush and spray all four plugs with the break clean. This happend to me about 2 weeks ago and THANKS to these two guys NO LEAD & TWINNMAN
  9. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Actually battery cleaner is better.. I use it every season, and load the connectors up with dielectric grease..

They should start a "plow maintenance" thread on here and make it a sticky..

It would be amazing what a yearly maintenance can do. It can save you time, also save so much money, and keep the green in your wallet just by doing the little things, check and clean all wires, plow bolts, gaskets, and so on.If you had a problem this season with the plow, and did a temp fix just to get you through the remaining snow season, write it down and repair the problem in the summer for the next plow season..:)
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  10. Rides1000

Rides1000 Junior Member

Thanks for the tips everyone, very good things to do,. however in my case i am very diligent about maintainence and have always kept the plugs and battery/ sol terminals clean/brushed and coated with battery terminal protectant. The first thing i did when the plow wasnt responding was to wire brush and spray the connectors. The Plow came to life the other night on its own so im guessing there is a loose plug. Going to try a new plug and harness from the #4 port which connects to the lights.
  11. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Check the lead into your fusebox, sometimes they wiggle loose but not out and causes problems like what you're experiencing. Just an idea!
  12. ffej27

ffej27 Junior Member

Just be careful cleaning and anything else you do in those plugs . They are somewhat FRAGILE. Contact cleaner with a little air always worked best for us , brakekleen eats the rubber housing. Other thing connector could already be broken. The way this sounds though you are losing power or ground (most likely) somewhere ie grill connector , battery , power assc. wire