1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

strange idea

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by kellysmith4221, Jan 26, 2009.

1. kellysmith4221

kellysmith4221 Junior Member

to writing so use the link and see the pic
    but use couple of those you got your self a plow( thick metal and already rolled)
    there sould be no rolled edges on the last pic sorry

s7_516602_imageset_02.jpg

s7_516602_imageset_01.jpg

s7_516602_imageset_03.jpg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  2. hondarecon4435

hondarecon4435 Senior Member

yes some people do that if you just get a bigger tank to start with then there wouldn't be so much welding

3. leroycool

leroycool Junior Member

just remember to start with a full tank

its more fun that way LOL

4. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

thats what I was thinking. either way torches or saw zaw yours going poof sutt lol.

5. J & B Lawncare

J & B Lawncare Member

Why not a water heater?

6. jimmy2b

jimmy2b Junior Member

why not use a factory plow?

7. Zach

Zach Senior Member

Id think a metal barrel would be best.... or your neighbor's BBQ :D

[​IMG]

8. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

the title for this thread should be : bad idea not strange idea :dizzy:

9. snowblowertruck

snowblowertruck Member

Yeah, I agree. If I'm going to put my self in the hospital, it sure as heck ain't going to be from trying to make something that means WORK. On top of that you still have to make the mount and fab up a way for the plow to preferrably trip and angle. All the time and work invest you'd be better off to buy a used one off of ebay.

10. SQuad

SQuad Member

My Dad built me a V plow out of a old air compressor tank. Worked well at the beging of the winter till the banks started to build up.

11. kagey

kagey Junior Member
    from Chicago

Seems pretty dangerous....kaaaaboooommmm!!!

12. snowblowertruck

snowblowertruck Member

If your honestly considering this not so good idea, may I suggest that you atleast purge the tank first with some sort of non flammable gas (gas not liquid) like some carbon monoxide for about 45 minutes before you try to cut into it.

13. JTLossos

JTLossos Junior Member

With all the items currently available out there that are basically other peoples cast offs/junk there is no way in the world I would be attempting to cut old propane ( or new for that matter ) tanks open to fab up a plow blade. The fact of the matter is your taking your life in your hands ( and anyone elses thats in the area ) and its simply ludicrous to do this in the hopes a saving a miniscule amount of money. I suggest in a very strong way going back to the drawing board or do as several others have posted and buy a used blade from Ebay/Craigslist or fab one from some inert type container thats been thrown out like the suggested "water tank" idea. Just my feelings on the idea.

14. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

The cost of a plow can be made back in a couple of pushes. I'm all for fabricating. I've done my share of crazy stuff. But I'm not sure that even I would cut into a propane tank. There is a guy around here that a tank blew up on him. He was hurt bad. I mean really bad.

15. hondarecon4435

hondarecon4435 Senior Member

read about it there is alot of info on the net you just have to flush it a bunch of times anyway i read some good ways to do it that werent dangerous