1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Straight vs Vee plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dave3, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Dave3

Dave3 Junior Member
    from Indiana

We got a little snow and a lot of wind. County roads were drifted shut pretty much fence row to fence row. I dropped my plow (8'2 BOSS vee) to get through it. I tried to moldbord in some spots where it wasn't all the way across the road and was still pushed to the side. I was wondering what you guys up in snow country do in this situation (it looks like most of you run straight plows). Also it seems you can get alot more done with a Vee than a straight (Refering to the scoop position). I know I can pile snow twice as high as i could with my straight plow. Just wondering Dave. Running out of wood ready for spring!

2. fordman

fordman Senior Member

Straight vs Vee
    Try doing a search on this topic if you want to find more info. I know it's been discussed before.

3. Bossguy

Bossguy Junior Member

v-blade

I don't know if you have a boss blade or what but I do know that boss has a kit to prevent the blade from releasing the pressure under situations like that...:rolleyes:

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I use Fisher plows with trip edge. Not sure how deep you're talking about, but I've windrowed a 14" wet & heavy snowfall for over half a mile with a 1/2 ton Dodge. Just ran at full angle and rolled the snow up and over. Basically, it couldn't push the truck to the side - there was 14" inches of snow over there. This was on a one lane road, so coming back I was only pushing about a third of the moldboard so no problem.

That was the first year I plowed. I won't push anything that deep anymore.

5. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

Dave,

I opened lanes and drives with 3-4' drifts this weekend with a V, that other guy's with staight blades told customers "can't do it, have to bring in a loader"

What I do is, in scoop position, push to the left, back up and push to the right. Inch your way along, a couple feet at a time, clearing the path. Every time you push to the side, when you back up, put the blade on the ground(still in scoop) to set up to push to the other side. You end up with a clear, or semi clear path, you can then widen in straight position.

I did this lane that way. It is 1500' long and had 4' drifts in it.

p2190041.jpg

6. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Sometimes....

when the snow is that high, you just dont drop the blade all the way to the ground...

Run down the drive or road with the plow lifted a foot off the ground if the snows too high and then drop it gradually until you get to the road surface.;)