1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Straight vs. V blade

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by john r, Sep 25, 2001.

1. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

I've got to buy another plow and was wondering what advantages a v blade has over the straight blade. I'd like to buy the v plow but am unsure if it's really worth it. Thanks, John Reich

Last edited: Sep 25, 2001
  2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Sep 25, 2001
  3. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Rob's got it right.
    Well worth the money in increased productivity.

4. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

I have a 7.5 straight and an 8-5.V (both Western). I prefer the V. There are exceptions to every rule. However, most who have used both prefer a V. Do a search if in doubt.

5. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

V-Plows help a lot in parking lots where the runs are super long. The plow can obly hold so much snow. The straight blades have there place, they work well in most residential applications. When you are dealing with 1500 ft driveways, a 9' straight blade with a foil is worth its weight in gold. The V-Plows don'r have the option of a foil.

The Big streight blades 9' and 10' work well for roads. I think that for most parking lots the v-plow has it all over the streight blades under 9'. However there are places and appliactions where streight blades work just fine. I have a pick up that plows a route of driveways, that a v-plow won't save anytime off. I also recycle my old 9' streight blades on equipment. So buy having a few it allows me to recycle them.

Geoff

6. ddm

ddm Member

I don't know a lot about v plows YET. Just bought a Boss 9-2 poly V for my truck, and everyone I've talked to seems to agree with what has been said here about the v units. One thing I did add to my straight blades was a set of pro-wings. I liked them for gathering up snow and holding more on the plow as they seemed to speed things up in the lots I was doing, and were relatively inexpensive to buy. (about $ 170. I think) Hope this might help you some:)

7. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

I have considered adding wings to my Western 7'6" plow. It would give at least a little of the advantage of a V.

8. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

While a snow foil isnt available for the v plows(I think fisher is the only maker that sells one) deflectors are available. From western it is standard, extra from fisher. Not sure about boss.
    Dino

9. Michael F

Michael F Senior Member

Dino,
    My Fisher dealer includes deflector. He also includes cutting edges(not standard with Fisher). I guess it depends on the dealer. Not trying to criticize, just stating different dealer do different things.

Mike

10. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Let me add an extra comment to my answer. For a one truck opperation, A V-Plow is a must. In a multiple truck opperation, there are places for a mix of plows.

Geoff

11. BOSS Adam

BOSS Adam Guest

What truck did put ur plow on ddm and john r?

just curious thats all

Adam

12. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I should say that in 98 and 2001 the deflector wasnt standard on the fisher. Like you mentioned the dealer may include extra items on a standard install, but I am sure you are paying fot them, or you just have a really great dealer.
    Dino

13. plowguy06

plowguy06 Member
    from Ohio

i think that most v plows can also be extended to be straight, so you may want to get a plow like that (i think boss and western make those maybe fisher too):confused:

14. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

Boss adam,
    The truck is a 99 f450 auto,4x4, power stroke turbo deisel (With hp modifications)