1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

straight salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by a&j lawncare ll, Aug 29, 2009.

1. a&j lawncare ll

a&j lawncare ll Member
    from ct

iam new to snow removal and was wondering if straight salt works on dirt driveways,or should i use sand salt mix..
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Never tried straight salt on gravel. I would think it would prevent the top couple of inches from freezing leaving you with a slimy mess.
  3. fireside

fireside Senior Member

use sand and salt only on dirt or gravel. 80/20 works the best you don't burn down to much and the sand give's them traction. The salt just burns thru the ice into the ground. If the ground is not frozen hard you will just make a big mess.
  4. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldn't... You want the top surface of gravel to stay frozen so you dont make a mess every time you plow it.

Ideally, you could use straight sand, but wet sand likes to freeze... Most suppliers offer 90% sand 10% salt mix, essentially the 10% salt is there to keep the sand from freezing, there's usually no salt visible in the mix, and it does very little in terms of melting.