1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

straight salt VS salt sand mix

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by vmj, Nov 19, 2011.

1. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

Not sure what to spread?? Always did salt sand mix...
  2. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I used to use sand salt mix,then i had one large account request straight salt.
    Switched all accounts about 10 yrs ago to straight salt and has been working out well.
    A little more expensive but if you buy bulk it's not to bad.You can get bulk salt
    at gateway terminal in New Haven for 68.50 ton.What do your customers want
    you to use?
  3. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

No ones really said either way, but i used straight salt a few years back and cust calls aking y i didn't sand be cause he saw nothing on ground.... but all the lots that i look at knowing they use salt are always black top..... i been on the fence the last couple of years on what to do... how do u know how much is going down if u cant c it??
  4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You learn where to set your door on the V box and just leave it there. We have spread a lot of sand salt mix but this year I will spread only salt until they catch me and want sand salt. The big boss things straight salt is to hard o the environment.