1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Straight plow w/wings vs. Vee

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by trustyrusty, Dec 12, 2012.

1. trustyrusty

trustyrusty Senior Member

I have always run straight plows with wings but last week I bought my first 8 1/2' V plow. I have been wondering what I should expect for production because of the following reasons:
    1. Guys that run V's say they are much more productive than straights, which I understand.
    2. Guys that have switched from V's to expandable plows (Wide-Out , XLS, 810) say they are more productive than their V's.
    3. An 8-10 expandable plow is just under 9' wide in the scoop position, while my 8' straight blades are nearly 10' wide with the wings on, and the wings angle forward to help scoop snow but not as much as the expandable plows.

I seldom remove the wings, so I'm not losing time taking them on and off that would be saved by being able to control them hydraulically. So, getting to the point, where will I be as far as productivity with my new V? Will I be similar to my straights with wings, or will I be less productive, or more?

I would like input from anyone who has run both straight plows with wings and 8 1/2' V's and can give me an educated answer.

2. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

no more chasing windrows , if used properly

3. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Once you learn how to use that vee properly you won't want to go back to a straight blade. Happy plowing!

4. procut

procut Senior Member

As someone who owns both, I can say the Vee is only slightly more productive than a straight with wings.

I have a 7'6" Western with Pro Wings and an 8'6" MVP with no wings. My biggest job takes about two hours to plow with the 7'6" with wings, I can do it with the 8'6" V in about about an hour and 45 minutes, for a total savings of 15 minutes. Significant I suppose, but not a night and day differance. However if the straight had no wings, I bet the v would almost cut the time in half.

FWIW, my next new plow will likely be either an expandable (Wideout/XLS/Blizzard) or an 8'6" straight with the factory wings.

5. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I have 8.5 pro + with western wings And I have 9.5 Vplow with wings

I dont windrow snow much unless I have a lot that I can and I dont have many lots setup to windrow
    So the wings on the plows helps a lot
    My 8.5 wings are bolted on I did that cuz They rattle to much
    My Vplow I take them off only put them on in the big Lots They stick out to far driving down the road
    I cant see the wideout being more productive plow I just dont see it
    I think 8.5 with wings will move same amount of snow wideout in scoop is 9' My 8.5 w/wings 10'
    I know my 9.5 Vplow w/wings at 11' is way more productive then a wideout
    But never plowed next to a wideout Think there is only one in my town 75% ppl run Vplows

To OP buy wings for your Vplow

6. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I have no wings on my 8.5 v plow but if I did I would think it would be a very productive plow. Probably close to the production of my xls. A 9.5 with wings is a big plow most likely will move more snow then the xls, They are all great plows and if you run them properly you will be productive.

7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

That's what I'm hoping for this year, I'm running a 9 1/2 with wings. I've had two wideouts in the last 4 seasons. Scoop for scoop, I think in vee it will hold more snow, we'll see

8. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

When the snow drought ends we will have a definitive answer and maybe the VPlow with wings versus the xls, wideout, 810 debate will end!

9. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Good post. I did a little checking on fisher's website not too long ago. According to the xls calculator on a lot that takes 30 min to plow with a 9 1/2 vee the xls will take about 8min off your time. My guess is you are an experienced plower and you have a set of wings on that vee blade you can do just as much if not more than the xls. That being said, I think my next truck will have an xls only because I've never had one and kinda want one.

10. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

my .02 worth

They are both good as all have stated. I personally like the wings for what we do. However, the carrying capacity of the V makes it nice in the right conditions and applications but it can require more passes.

Good thread.

11. chachi1984

chachi1984 Senior Member

having a western uni 7.6 with no wings sucks. i can even tell a different from the size to my 8ft arctic.
    really thinking about geting a wideout power plow next

12. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Good thread.

Now to start, I can say that I do 0 resis. All our work is commercial, traditionally with lots more open area's. Some town house complexes (roads, but no driveways)

I can compare 8 ft plows, not 8'6 - but the results can be extrapolated.

Ex 1. Straight vs V - same size plow.

Now in an open area, when a new user climbs in a V blade, they traditionally scoop all the way forward when plowing. This, of course makes the scoop smaller.

Especially in light snow, someone that has experience with a V will not go in FULL scoop, just partial forward scoop to keep the blade as wide as possible and plow as much area as possible.

Now a standard straight will just move a little snow forward and winrow the rest.

Our experience says Winner is the V.

Ex 2. 8 ft V vs 8 ft Straight with wings (buyers pro)

Now, it used properly the straight is more productive, just because you have more plow area on the ground. (8 ft with wings is almost 10 ft)

Usually everyone tries to keep plowing as usual, but with the wings they work better working similar to a pusher box - long runs with the blade straight pushing piles forward. Yes you can winrow better, because you are a wider plow also.

In this case, for the extra 200 bucks the straight with wings is the winner.

Ex 3. Comparing a 7'6" straight with wings to a 9'6 V

Plow surface on the ground is comparable but V wins hands down. You have a single surface plowing instead of a smaller plow that you have added wings to. Price is very different thou in this example.

All of this being said, any and I mean any type of wings will pay for themselves many times over. If they are the expensive boss or the cheap buyers, they are a good investment.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  13. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have run all these plows personally.
    If you are doing wide open lots with lots of windrowing there is nothing faster then an expanding plow.
    If you have to carry snow to specific spots I would take a V plow with wings. If you own a V plow with wings and need to do a lot of windrowing you need to drop the wing on the trailing edge for best productivity. If you don't the trailing wing will hold some of the snow causing the snow to build up on the plow allowing you to take less of a pass.

I run a 810 on my truck and 2 of my trucks have 8'6" MVP+ with wings and one has a Boss VXT 9'2". The VXT will throw snow the farthest by far.

14. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

I only plow commercial lots and will take my 9" pro plus w wings any day. I want to cover as much ground as possible with each pass. A friend of mine traded in his truck that had a 9' pro plus w wings and the new truck had a western V on it and he hates it cause it is so narrow in the scoop position other than that its only a straight blade.

This picture is from 2 winters ago when we actually had snow.

pp9.PNG

15. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Put wings on that V and he will quickly change his mind and if his V is a 9'6" with wings he will carry more snow then you.

16. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Great thread

Just purchased an XLS and I'm curious to see how much better they are than the 9 - 10' blades we've been running.

17. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

They both have their place......for my needs I like the V-blade....I get a lot of drifting where I may need to make several passes in the V position before i can windrow or carry. Now that I have my Ebling.....I like my V even more...... :)

18. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

This picture is from 2 winters ago when we actually had snow.

the good old days.......

orland retail.jpg

pushing..jpg

19. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

The snow will come back boys. It's all cyclical.

20. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Straight blade vs. V-Plow is no comparision.
    I've had both and have now converted to all V's except one straight left to change out.
    The V plow is much more efficient