1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

straight plow VS V plow ???

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by 440dmax, Nov 3, 2012.

1. 440dmax

440dmax Junior Member
    from montana

Last year I plowed with a EX 7.5 staight plow with wings. Some guys I plow with told me I needed to get a V plow becuse they worked SOOOO much better. So I purchsed a VX95. I plowed for the first time this year the snow was wet and I deffinatly have to figure out the touch pad a little bettor but I didnt see a huge diffrence. My contracts are small sub developments that are less than a mile long and some business lots that are mid size. I was hoping for some tips from V plow guys. I hope I'm missing some thing so I didn't waist extra money on the V plow. I have been very very happy with the snow dogg plows. The tech support has been extremly helpfull. But I could use some help Thanks guys

2. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

V plow won't really help on plowing roads, maybe to bust drifts and stacking in culdesacs. The V's shine in holding and stacking snow.

3. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Scoop and adjust the wings a bit. It doesn't always have to be straight either, on roads i usually angle the leading wing forward a little and keep the trailing wing nearly straight. It makes for a wider pass and prevents trailoff.

4. 440dmax

440dmax Junior Member
    from montana

thanks guys

So are you guys windrowing with the plow straight then Ving forward to pick up the trailers? I was thinking About putting wings on also but not sure if the coast is worth it. If the wings are Ved back how fare off the ground are your cutting edges mine are really close to the ground? Like 4 inches. I drive a 2500 dodge with a 5.7 and it really pulls the frount end down along way i was woundering if that was the proublem with the cutting edge being close to the ground.

5. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

A straight blade with wings is MORE productive than a V plow without wings. Honestly you would of been better off with VX85 with wings.
    I have wings on everything, except I had to remove them from the 9'2"V because it was so wide and unsafe (for everyone) on the roads.

6. 440dmax

440dmax Junior Member
    from montana

Thanks

:mad:Thanks

7. plowguy43

The reason having wings will ALWAYS be more productive is because they are angled forward. This prevents trailoff and contains the snow better on the blade.

At this point, your best option would be to grab some wings for your current plow, I believe they are under $500 still, and go with it that way. Then you'll have possibly the most productive plow out there, 11'3" wide, and ability to V and Scoop.

8. 440dmax

440dmax Junior Member
    from montana

wings

500 would be nice the last time I checked they were 700 to get them to me here in MT I would like to try some. 11.3 would be crazy Not sure if the old HEMI can carry all that wieght with out so help up frount.

9. plowguy43

Just add spacers. The wings aren't going to add a ton of weight and your truck will push it fine. PM Jim @ esi for a price. I coulda sworn last I checked they were under $500 or maybe it was 600. It was last season

10. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Wings on a 9.2 V plow is safer then wings on a 8.5 straight plow With Vplow you fold it back in V mode Wont stick out as fas as the straight plow with wings
    I have both well I have western 9.6MVP withwings and 8.5 with wings and at home the 8.5 wont fit in my building 10' doors but the MPV will

11. 440dmax

440dmax Junior Member
    from montana

wings

I will check thanks

12. 440dmax

440dmax Junior Member
    from montana

Straight Plow V.S. V-plow

One thing I'm concerned about is the hiegth of the outside edges when the plow is in the back position I only have about 3-4 inches off the ground. Is that normal? One nice thing about the V is my truck doesn't over heat as much when I'm running down the highway. Having the straight plow with wings I had to watch my temp gauge more. Does anyone with gas trucks run 2 batterys I have had my Check Gauges light come on and notice my AMP gauge is on the zero mark. I didn't know if I should try to find a heavy duty altenator or put a second battery in the truck?

13. plowguy43

Yes the edges will hang low, you can angle the forward a little it get more clearance if necessary. A small lift (spacer, bigger coils) will help keep it off the ground as well.

As for the battery, my 04 Ram 2500 HEMI did the same thing. I upgraded the battery, replaced the altenator and belt, but it would still do it. The computer controlls the voltage regulator of the altenator and I suspect that its not quick enough to rebound/add voltage/amperage when the plow is moved and draws down the power. I checked and re-checked everything on that truck and it would always do it. Thankfully it never died on me so I just went with it.

My 99 on the other hand, doesn't care either way. I can run the plow constantly and it never dips the gauge at all. And this is a bigger plow with more moving parts/draw of power.

14. 440dmax

440dmax Junior Member
    from montana

straight plow VS V plow

Thanks for the input that helps alot. Have you had any snow this year yet? We had a bad year for us last year.

15. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I use to run 2 batterys had to on older plows cable style they pulled alot amps but My new western plows dont pull very many amps 1 battery handles it One thing I do I get in a lot I'll turn off my head lights Just run flasher lights Kinda saves on the Altenator and battery

16. plowguy43

Just got 2"s yesterday but its already melted. Nothing plowable. I'm hoping with the tracks of these recent storms that we'll have a nice winter full of storms. We can only hope!