1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

straight or vee plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JRFire, Feb 7, 2002.

1. JRFire

JRFire Junior Member
    from PA

what is the difference between the vee plow and the straight plow?? I know that one of them turns into a vee and stuff and you can scoop with it and all but besides that what is the real difference?? How much time on average does it save you and is it really that much easier to plow with. Which brand do you like more between the vee plows... Western or Boss? I have heard a lot of problems so far with the Boss plow and i dont know if the Westerns dont get used as much or if their are just no problems with them. Thanks for the replies... i am new to the site and i think this is how you post, i hope it works.

2. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

JR,
    Let me first say Welcome to plowsite. There is a ton of info here which you will find usefull.
    The question you ask has been discussed many times here before, and I suspect that many of your questions are probably already answered. I did a quick search of the site and came up with a bunch of threads relating to your question. I personally own a straight plow only, so I can't answer your question with personal experience, so here's one of the threads I found.

http://216.118.85.34/showthread.php?threadid=3969&highlight=vplow

Enjoy the site,

3. JRFire

JRFire Junior Member
    from PA

Thanks for the reply.. I guess I should of searched before i did that but i still want to know what brand considering that the Boss fourm is only filled with complaints about the Boss vee plow. Does anybody know the price difference in a vee plow and a straight blade

4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I have one Boss and two western V plows. Given the little issues that I have every storm with the boss plow, I would suggest the western v plow.
    The cost should be with in 500.00-800.00 of a straight plow to upgrade to the v. You should see about 20-40% savings in time.
    Dealer support is more important than the color of the plow tho.
    Blizzard also makes a plow that will scoop and cradle snow, if you do mostly commercial plowing, than that may be an option.
    If you do some residential where the v position may be helpfull to break open drifted or plowed in aprons, than consider that as well.
    Dino

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

JRFire - I recommend getting the V. If I had known then what I know now, I would have gotten the V when I bought my first plow 2 years ago. But at the time I told myself I couldn't justify the few extra dollars. Some things are not best learned through experience :( . The link is to Chuck's Truck Page for a comparison of plows:

http://www.snowplowing-contractors.com/snow_plow_comparison.html

6. flmusj

flmusj Junior Member

Go with the Vee plow. As far as brands go you need to look at your local dealers. Boss has probable sold more vee plows than the other manufactures combined. In my area there is straight blades (mostly Meyers) and Boss vee plows only. Somewhat due to the lack of other dealers.

7. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

I have plowed with both straight and V and I currently own a 9'2" boss V which i havent plowed with yet. My previous plow was a 8'2" boss V and I loved it. My feelings about a V are that the stress on the frame of the truck is less because you are putting equal amounts of snow off each side of the blade. Therefore redusing the sideways pressure of a blade which is angled. The truck carries the blade straighter down the road (it's just a bit more aerodynamic).

Love the Boss V, never plowed with the Western. I was told that the Western has hinge problems on the trip edge, yet I have never saw one broken. The Boss wont trip easily in most positions but has never caused me a problem. My new 9'2" is getting a U-edge (and hopefully a U- horse hoof!). I hope that will make it a bit softer on the manholes and ledges.

8. BOSS Adam

BOSS Adam Senior Member

go with the Boss v plow :D

9. JRFire

JRFire Junior Member
    from PA

Western and Fisher are the local dealers and i just wanted to know a little more about the Boss plows. Speaking of Fisher, does anybody use the vee plow of fisher because that is another local dealer.

10. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I run a Fisher V. I like it a lot. Essentially the same as the Western. Both are made in the same factory in Maine. There was some concern about the strenght but I have had no complaints. The hydraulics and controls are excellent. I have always bought Fishers so it was the only choice IMO.

11. JRFire

JRFire Junior Member
    from PA

not to change the subject but does anybody have any pics. of their rig??? I like to see what other people are running.

12. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

I just got a 8.5 ft. Fisher V-plow this year. I haven't got to use it all that much but the more I do use it the more I love it. I would never go back to a straight blade.

13. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

14. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Fisher Vplow pics

JR click the link in my sig for some photos of a fisher v.

As far as which plow, go with the best dealer support in your area, Fisher or Western.

15. JRFire

JRFire Junior Member
    from PA

JD: Nice looking rig.. what size plow is that.

75: Thanks for the web pages that u gave

16. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Thanks JR, its a 8.6 . The only other size available is a 9.6 but that weighs in at about 1400lbs.:eek: This I think is the by far the biggest advantage of the boss 9.2 v plow, it weighs considerably less.

*CORRECTION* According to the Fisher web page it weighs in at 1050 lbs. The boss weighs in at 928lbs.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2002
  17. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

If you have the money,go with a V,I have a new Boss 9'2" V,but at this time i cannot recommend it.Id buy a Western,or Fisher plow,if i were you.Also be prepared for the boss V plow to leave an unplowed gap of about 3" right in the middle of the blade,.after the rubber center hoof rips of in about 3 storms.A new one is 66 bucks,and it is not warrantied.I can see this plow getting expensive to maintain real quick.I just bought another one,we'll see how long this one lasts.

18. Yardworks

Yardworks Senior Member

Hey John. I have the same 9'2" Boss V-plow and an 8'2" Boss V-plow. I gave up on the horse shoe and welded pieces of metal on each blade. It took a little figuring on where to weld the pieces and be able to v and scoop, but after that no problems. I've done it twice to my 8'2" and both times it lasted the duration of the blade. It cleans just as nice or nicer then the horse shoe. At $66 bucks a pop a little fabrication can save some money.

19. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

I have never had a problem other than wear with the rubber horse hoof. I have never ripped it off. Where does it tear? I have heard a rumor that there is a prototype molded polyU-hoof being made at this time. I think that would help a ton!

20. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Yardsworks, Boss sent me the metal plates your talking about,I have them,but im running a Urethane cutting edge,so there's nothing to weld them to.I will not use the Stock edge,now that i have the Uedge,so that isnt an option.i made a homemade center peice out of urethane scrap,if you send me your E-mail,ill send it to you,its got potential,im just afraid of it tearing around the bolt hole.