1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Straight, or V Blade??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by KubotaJr, Jan 5, 2006.

1. KubotaJr

KubotaJr Senior Member

I want to sell my truck to get a new chevy 2500 hd, or ford 350, I really like how u can stack with the V, i need more feedback on them.?????
    Thanks; Joe

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

The BossVPlow

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Nothing stacks like a Snoway V

4. sonicblue2003

sonicblue2003 Senior Member

I really like mine .I would never go back to a straight blade ..unless all of my plowing was windrows. I can move snow quite a long way across streets and 1/8 mile down the lot (which I do) You can stack way over your roof height if its fluffy.I used straight blades for 15 years Meyer and Western and when I plowed with the V it was a total difference. Keep in mind though that you need to do a lot of controller work but after you get used to it it is second nature. I would go with the Ford eaiser to install and IMO a much better truck for the abuse that they take. 3rd season on mine and not so much as a single problem... And I do very large commercial lots and hit all kinds of things.Not on purpose though.:eek:

5. Grunt0311

Grunt0311 Member

I agree with Sonic. I think you will be happier with the Ford, and not just because I have one! I have heard a lot of guys complain about the Chevy's sitting too low. I put a 2 1/2" level kit on my F350 and it has no problem carrying the 860lbs of my 8 1/2' Meyer.
    I have been considering getting a v plow as well. I have plowed just about 15 years with a straight blade, and while I think I can do just about everything with it that a v plow can do, I also believe that it takes me longer to do so. My only concern has been my belief that more moving parts equals more chance to break something! I don't know if it is true or not though. I was thinking about getting a Fisher, but I am not sure if I will like the trip edge or not. I have heard stories of snow getting caught in them and not letting them go back.
    Good luck:salute:

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Do a comparison there really is not that meany more moving parts on a V plow, there just configured differently.

I thought that way to, then I got a V plow, I just wish That I had done so sooner. There a big time saver..

7. KubotaJr

KubotaJr Senior Member

Im gunna check out the boss v, ive heard good things about it!!. But i am a big ford fan, will a v be ok for doing driveways?

8. Snow-Kid

Snow-Kid Senior Member
    from nw ohio

I was thinking the same as you when i was making my decision. I didn't think they would be any good for drives. Then i talked to my local boss dealer and he said that every one he has talked to loved them for driveways. I just thought he was feeding me a line of b.s. but he was right. I got a 9'2" Boss Poly v for my F-350 and could not be happier. Love the scoop for the drives.

9. Robber80

Robber80 Member
    from Vermont

snowkid, and others with a v plow. how well do they back drag??? I'm interested in a fisher or a boss V-plow and i'm just curious how they back drag.

the other thing is how are they configured for angling back?? if you were to angle the left side forward is uses hydraulic pressure, but when you bring the left side back, does it return by spring, or does it have hydraulic pressure that pulls it back?

the question is for both boss and fishre v plows. thank you!

10. Grunt0311

Grunt0311 Member

One thing I have heard about the Boss v plows is that you need to make sure you get the locking cylinders for back dragging. I dont know if that is the case with all of them or not, but I'm sure someone on here does:nod:

11. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

My 9.2 BOSS V stacks very well.

No problems with them on the 2500HD's either.

Allows you full adjustability for supsension height (VERY important on BOSS V's). Something Ford and Dodge are unable to do.

12. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

The new boss with the locking wing rams and the new cutting edge does a good job of back dragging, it "might" take one more back drag pass with a V plow to get it clean.
    Yes, the spring does pull the wing back.

But the stacking ability is unsurpassed by any plow. There fast and you can control where the snow. goes with the V plow. The V plow cut at least 25% to 30% off of the time it took to do my route.

Their great for residential, especially the odd shaped drives.

13. Snow-Kid

Snow-Kid Senior Member
    from nw ohio

Robber my v-plow back drags pretty good. I don't have the smart lock cylinders and i don't have a problem with the wings folding back unless there is more then say 5 or 6 inches of snow even then I only have to make one or two more back drags to get what i missed. In my opinion that is alot cheaper then the $280 or how much the smart lock cylinders are. I do a fair share of back draging to.

14. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

This is not a slam snow -kid O.K.:waving: I agree with you post except...

If you are spending $4000 to $5000 some times more for a plow whats an additional $xxx bucks for some thing you will use every time you plow?
    And how much is the snow deflector, you don't need that ether, but it Sure makes life easer..:nod:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2006
  15. Snow-Kid

Snow-Kid Senior Member
    from nw ohio

Yes i agree with you but when i bought my plow this year the boss dealer didn't have them available at that time( back ordered). I will use the ones that came with the plow this year but with be getting the smartlock next year.

16. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I've been using BOSS V plows for 12 years now, never used or wish I had the SmartLock cylinders.

17. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I'm not too familiar with Boss plows but why would you not want the smart lock cylinders, why are they not standard. Seems from what i read they keep the wings from folding back in heavy snows? I'm just curious, like i said i don't know anything about Boss plows and never owned a v.

18. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

They prevent the wings from folding forward when backdragging HEAVY snow only. Even with them folding forward, your still clearing at least 8' of snow per backdrag.

Going forward they are the same.

I don't have a problem with my wings extending while backdragging anyway. If it does it, one more swath cleans it up.

19. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Thanks for the info. My next plow will probably be a v. Learn soemthing new today.:)

20. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I believe that the smart locks slow down the blade a wee bit. Anytime I back drag with the boss the wings V out unlike the fisher or the western but that isnt too big of a deal, you are still pulling back plenty. If back draging is something that you do alot of you should probably look at a back blade IMO

For comercial I prefer the fisher/wester just becasue I hate the full trip of the boss on a V blade. But if your doing residential(ie going slower and less obstructions) this probably isnt as big for you.

I dont know how many times I have said this......maybe I should put it in my sig.....but Chevy IFS is plenty strong and good for plowing IMO. I put 55k miles on my 2500HD duramax diesel with all the stock parts the general installed from the factory and it drove just like the day I bought it new. Only reason I got rid of it was becasue I rolled it. I ran a 9.5' fisher v with 1k pounds of ballast in the back. The only things I added to beef up my "so called weak IFS" was timbrens(I dont have timbrens on my 06 and have a blizzard 810 and it handles it fine) and I did put 75$ stainless steel tie rod sleeves. The sleeves arnt needed unless you are into drag racing your truck and doing launches in 4x4 with lotsa boost. Oh.....did I forget to mention I ran in the 11.70's in a 6500# truck out 60'ing cars with slicks and front runners by launching in 4x4 on pavement with lotsa boost and enough nitrous that people looked at me like I was from mars when I told them how much I was going through on a pass?

I liked how the V's stacked compared to the straights but I have a feeling my blizzard will stack tons more. But stacking was never really a priority to me. I mostly am windrowing around and then using the scoop feature on clean up.