1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Straight hydraulic to electric-hydraulic conversion??

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by vi009dz, Jan 2, 2008.

1. vi009dz

vi009dz Member

I currently own a 1985 GMC K2500 with a fully hydraulic Fisher Speedcast plow. This truck has reached its end of life, and I will be installing the plow on my 1993 3/4 ton Suburban for plowing my driveway.

I am going to need a new kit to install everything under the truck (not entirely sure what's included), but also, my 1985 350 ran V-belts, and this 1993 454 runs a serpentine system. Is it best to adapt the pump and bracketry from the 1985 to work with the 1993 454, or should I look at converting to an electric-hydraulic system for the speedcast (if this is even possible) to completely get rid of the belt issue. The system I have works great, and it is strictly for personal use, so I don't need the "latest and greatest" setup out there.

I apologize for the newbie question, but this is all new to me, and I'd greatly appreciate some guidance. Thank you!

-adam

2. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

You can go two ways with this.

1. Keep your belt driven system and adapt it to the 454 Serp set up. I do not know your fabrication skills in cutting,welding and machining,but I know it can be done.

2. Get an under hood unit from Barnes/Haldex. You can get them at Northern or on e-bay. This is what I did when my belt driven valve and pump was going slow. Expect to pay over 350.00 or so for the underhood unit.

Option 1 may save you money but will require more time and option 2 will cost you more money and less time.

T.J.

3. vi009dz

vi009dz Member

Thanks for the response TJ. Personally, I'd like to keep the system I have, but just adapt the pump to work on the serp system. I like the simplicity of the full hydraulic / cable driven system. I also have everything I need, minus the bracketry under the truck.

The underhood unit from Barnes/Haldex.....my apologies, but could you point me in a direction where I can look at these further? Since the plow is "free", spending a few hundred for something I don't have to fab up myself is at least worth looking at.

4. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I got my under hood pump set up on e-bay. Look at northern hyd. they have them there as well. It comes with everything you need except hoses. Mine came with two toggle switches to control the plow. I mounted them on my center console in a radio shack project box. I just rest my arm and my hand falls right were the switches reside.
    T.J.

5. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

Your belt driven system will use a seperate pulley mounted on the front of the crankshaft and will be independent of the sepentine system thus only requiring the purchase of the pulley/spacer/longer bolts to run a seperate v belt to your pump. as far as the pump brackets are concerned you can probably modify the ones you have to fit the 454 without to much difficulty or search around for the correct ones to fit you application. Good luck, Roy

6. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

7. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Ha. I have a #24 laying around in my tool box for a Small Block Chevy. I do not think the bolt circle diameter is the same for Big Block as Small Blocks though. That is something you would need to research. I cannot remember. PM me if you want it.
    T.J.

8. vi009dz

vi009dz Member

you guys are awesome...thanks for the links and information. I'll do some research on the pulley I need and if brackets are availble to mount the pump. Most likely not, so I'll have to fab up something.